Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smurray27

Trying to find a used lawn mower for around $200

smurray27
10 years ago

Trying to find a used lawn mower in the NW Ohio / SE Michigan area. Don't know much about mowers other than Honda engines are good. Can anyone record me some specific models I should be looking for and also how to tell what is a good deal and what isn't?

Comments (5)

• bluemower
    10 years ago

Honda has the inexpensive GC series engine that is offered on some of the department store push mower equipment. This model is well know for easy starting.

Honda also offers the GX series on more expensive push mower equipment. This engine does everything well.

The Briggs Quantum series engine is the most common push mower engine. This is a good engine, but usually requires more servicing than the Honda's. Starting is usually easy, but probably not as good as the Honda. Parts are cheap.

A five year old department store mower with the Briggs or Honda GC would probably sell for $50 - $75. I suspect any mower with a Chinese engine would sell for less.

The better mowers would have a cast aluminum deck with rear drive. On example is the Toro Super recycler. The Snapper hiVac is a steel deck, but nevertheless, a great mower. My guess is these would sell for $200.

• skane1
    10 years ago

Hi....I have a JD 14SB that I'd sell to you for $200 but you would have to cover the shipping costs.Here out here in Alberta Canada this mower sells for $400-$500.
    This mower has: 5 speed rear drive,blade clutch,bagger,Kawasaki engine.
    The mower runs great and is better than anything Deere sells today.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

I'll toss my two cents in.

I bought a nice old light-weight push mower for $25. It had a B&S 3.75 engine which runs strong. The primer bulb leaks a bit, no surprise at that age. I have to push the bulb ten times instead of a couple. I took down the numbers so I can order a new one.

This thing is way more fun to use than the heavier Toro and Craftsman I also have. But it only has side discharge. The Toro and Craftsman also have rear bagging and a mulching option.

If you are looking at a strangers mower, put your hand on the engine to see if it is warm before you start it. What you would like to see is a engine that starts quickly for you, but has not been run recently. A wise seller will make sure the mower runs a few hours before you come to inspect it.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

If you don't want any frills, you can buy a new basic mower for that much. The John Deere posted above would be a great one. I don't know about the shipping because new regulations prohibit the shipping of anything that has been fueled. It may be possible to state the contents of the box as 'refurbished mower, no fuel/oil', but the seller would have to be diligent in running the mower dry of fuel, removing the oil and flushing the gas tank with alcohol or dry-cleaning solvent and letting it dry out before boxing. Shipping is expensive, probably $50 or more. That is a premium aluminum-deck mower and would be worth it IMO.
    Alternatively, you can get a 20" Lawn-Boy at Home Depot or Lowe's with self-propel rear drive, a grass bag and a B&S OHV engine for $269. This is one of the best buys out there esp. for smaller yards.

• skane1
    10 years ago

There are some great new mowers out there for under $300 but you gotta do your research and know what you want or need for features.Just take things slow and explore all of your options.