Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raydecker

B/S will not stay running

raydecker
12 years ago

Hello all, I'm working on a B/S 18.0 I/C ovh,model 31d777, type 0233e1, code 030410ze. the engine will start but there is NO high rpm's, it will just idle for about 5 seconds and then it dies. Compression is 50 psi, gas is good, plug appears to be good because the engine does run (will change plug tomarrow because I don't have one right now). I even tried spraying carb with starting fluid after it started up just to make sure that it was getting some type of fuel but no increase in RPM's. any sugestions, Thanks Ray

Comments (12)

• ewalk
    12 years ago

50 PSI is not Good ! How old is the engine . Either Bad Rings or perhaps , just a stuck valve !

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Suspect blown head gasket or valve problem.

Walt Conner

• baymee
    12 years ago

Doesn't this engine have a compression release feature. He's probably taking a static compression test.

• raydecker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello, I removed head today (7/20/11) and found the intake push rod bent on the top end and the valve guides on both in & out take that are made of plastic were broken. I guess that it allowed for to much slop in the rods allowing them to get misaligned. The motor had a lot of dried grass around the cooling fins that might have caused an over heating condition because when I had everything disassembled i could see the exhaust push rod was dark color along with cylinder. no scoring in cylinder though. Walt mentioned maybe head gasket or valves and I was hoping head gasket but when it was running for that short time i did not air being forced out. just my luck. oh well thats life. Thanks Ray

• raydecker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted incorrectly that the valve guides were made of plastic. It was the push rod guides and they were made of plastic. Are the push rod guides replaceable by themself or are they bought as an assembly (the guides mounted to the plate) Thanks Ray

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Part number is 690822 Guide, Push Rod, (the entire plate only)

Walt Conner

• raydecker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello all, looking for more help. I have replaced the faulty intake push rod , plate with guides, & head gasket. The engine starts right up and with acceleration. The one thing I noticed is that the engine is getting hot BUT not the oil filter and this is after about 3-4 minutes of running. Question is I guess would it be something inside the engine like the oil pump causing this or maybe just a dirty oil filter ? This may have been their orginal problem of why the guides went (because they were both gone and the peices I found were melted) I could probly replace the oil filter and charge the costomer as diangoais problem & change the oil also but if that is not a help for the problem I'm not helping the costomer. The oil is on the dark side. Thanks Ray

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Well you never answered my last question so why would I bother offering any further assistance , even if Valve issue was the initial problem .

• raydecker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I apologize ewalk. I guess I did not read the entire post very well. The troy bilt tractor in a 2003 model. I have replaced the push rod guide plate assembly, intake push rod, head gasket, oil, oil filter & plug. After reassembly the engine fired up. Thanks for all your help Ray

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Ray : The intent of my original question was to determine or narrow down the poor compression values that you provided . As stated either rings or valve train would provide a route of compression loss . The stuck valve on a newer engine is often not recognized since it is an internal leak down . Head Gaskets are easier to pinpoint due to external seepage . Glad you spotted the lack of lubrication issue . It could be a simple as a restricted oil pump screen or a fauly pump . I suppose a plugged filter could cause the same but have never experienced such within small engines only within automotive filter failures.

• homegrown55
    12 years ago

Ewalk....just a reminder. On an B & S engine, the engine "code" is the manufacture date. In this case this engine was made April 10,2003 as the code is "030410ze."

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Thanks for the Info HG :)