Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reel Mower in Raleigh, NC area

Posted by heffnejp none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 20:37

I have recently had Tifgrand Bermuda sodded in my yard, front last year, back this year. I currently mow with a honda rotary push mower, but am intrigued by reel mowers. Tried a scotts push model with little success as my yard is not exactly level. I can mow to about 2.5" without scalping. I'm struggling to find dealers in this area that sell powered reel mowers and am hesitant to buy one without trying it first. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reel Mower in Raleigh, NC area

No reel mower is going to do a great job on a rough or uneven lawn. You may want to spend some time leveling up your lawn, let the grass fill in those areas, and try again.

o

A reel mower with a front roller will do better than a rotary mower on a bumpy lawn.
You have a smaller area and a rotary will gouge in the middle.
Lawn boy had a staggered wheel in the early days and it helped from scalping.
If you lived in my area Maryland I would lend you my powered reel with a front roller to try.

o

The Scotts reel mower is not designed for Bermuda, and it doesn't work well on Bermuda. I had one, and thought that I could "get away" with using it on my Bermuda front yard, and Fescue back. It worked fine on the Fescue, but it wouldn't handle the Bermuda once it got thick.

o

I appreciate all the insight. Anyone out there know of any dealers of powered reel mowers in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina.

o

Here's a used McLane.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/3168391272.html

and a Tru-cut

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/grd/3143141371.html

o

Thanks Rager, I had been checking Craigslist, but without much luck.

o

Hi heffnejp, did you have any luck finding a dealer? Am also looking for one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here