Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Statesman Lawn Tractor--electrical

Posted by nunnboys.com none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 20:55

I have a Statesman Riding Lawnmower 16.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. I do not know Model Number or year. Looking forhow to release the wiring clip right under full tank, drivers side??? I my motor will not turn over (or at least it does barely) but not enough to crank the lawnmower. Replaced battery, took starter to be checked (good) and now I believe the next thing to check is the "Ground Block" is what I have been told it is. I can't unplug it and don't want to break it. #1...How do I unplus it? 2...what else can my problem be? Nunnboys.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Statesman Lawn Tractor--electrical

Briggs OHV engines require the valve lash to be in spec for the compression release to function.

It's actually considered "normal" maintenance.

o

Valve Lash, how will that not allow the motor to turn over?? and how do I correct that? It does make sense what you are saying because when it did run it always popped and backfired. What should I do ? Thank you so much

o

Posting the actual Model # of the engine is useful so we know exactly WHAT Biggs you have.

The Briggs OHV engines typically have a "bump" on the cam lobe that opens one of the valves slightly when cranking to relieve compression.
IF the valve lash is too loose, the valve doesn't get "bumped" and therefore, no compression release.

Valves are set with the piston 1/4" past TDC.

o

OMG, I think there is something SERIOUSLY wrong
with Garden Web's 'system'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here