Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnedgarh

Principles of rotary mower design

JohnEdgarH
12 years ago

Rotary mowers, both riding and walk-behind, now available cannot cut higher than about 4.5 to 5 inches. We need one that will cut at an 8 inch height for use in establishing a wildflower meadow using native plants. Best practice in meadow/prairie restoration calls for two annual mowings, one in March and one in June, and both should be about 8 inches high. I would be willing to modify an existing mower if that were possible. Elevating front wheels wouldn't be much of a deal. However, larger diameter rear/drive wheels would hit the deck. Even if raising a mower were possible, I don't know if the changed aerodynamics of the deck would allow for decent cutting that high off the ground. Does anyone know of a mower that will cut 8 inches off the ground (other than small tractor drawn bush hogs)? Does anyone know whether a conventional deck would still cut well that high? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Although many mowers will now go up to 4" and even a little higher, I think they have pushed the envelope too far. What happens is the deck is so far above the ground that what little vacuum a mower blade/deck produces is lost, and the plant material is not pulled up into the blade path. So, contemplating putting big wheels on a mower and cutting at 8" probably is not going to work. Even a DR Field and Brush mower cuts at 4". Sounds to me like you need some kind of tractor-drawn equipment.

• JohnEdgarH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's what I've been thinking. Perhaps a sickle bar mower modified to cut at 8" might do the trick. We've tried a heavy duty wheeled string trimmer but it cuts too ragged and the way it was rigged up to cut higher than normal was a bit wonky and unstable. Thanks.

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I would think it would be very dangerous. That is the reason.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

When I read the subject line I though we were in for a lecture on Principles of Rotary Mower Design. A Lawnmower 101 course.

Indeed it would be very dangerous. All sorts of stuff could be flung out and it would be so easy to mow your foot off. You need one of those brush cutters.

• weed_cutter
    12 years ago

Pushing a mower over 8" of brush would be tough, might be easier to take a long walk with a trimmer and blade.

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

Conventional rotary blade mower design doesn't cut well at all at higher and higher cutting heights. The turbulence created by the blade and the flexibility of the plants being cut all affect the outcome. More flexible plants just bend over and avoid the cutting blade and spring back up later. This problem is evidenced even in lawns that are mowed at 3 or 4 inches. A sickle bar design would serve you better. Perhaps a lower cost mower(for limited duty)could be constructed using gas hedge clippers which are essentially sickle bar cutters.

• earthworm
    12 years ago

This seems to be a good idea, but todays manufacturers need large sales numbers to prosper. There would be quite the limited market for this "effective at an eight inch cutting height" deck, IMO.

• JohnEdgarH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. Regarding the possible market for such a mower, I predict that the market will grow. More people are wanting to mow less and to live in a more natural habitat. They, as we, choose to create meadows which require a different pattern of cutting than lawns. As more people create meadows, the market for speciality mowers should grow. Of course, unless a person has a huge property, buying such a specialty mower for use only 2 or 3 times a year would not be practical, so I envision that rental agencies and lawn services will be the market, not the property owner.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

While I understand that a wildflower garden or a meadow can certainly be appealing I don't see how they are more green or back to nature than a garden or more traditional garden. The meadow you are describing will take maintenance, cutting, seeding, feeding, etc., which is hardly as nature does things. If you want a real meadow then just let nature go through it's normal cycles in your field. Otherwise don't kid yourself that a managed "meais any more green than a managed garden or lawn. It ain't.