Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

Honda HRR216VXA bent crankshaft/repair ideas

mvron
13 years ago

I am one of average mechanical ability. The Honda shop will charge $85 per hour for the 2 1/2 to 3 hr job. The mower is only two months old. I am also considering purchasing the shop manual($35) and attempting this myself. I am not sure what the shop manual looks like and if that would be helpful. Also don't know if special tools will be needed. The bent crankshaft not of my doing but I hate to just trash the really nice mower for parts. I have the time to work on this myself. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• canguy
    13 years ago

You will need a torque wrench to properly perform the repair. Suck it up and pay an experienced shop.

• dpunisher
    13 years ago

You might consider a new engine. You can find them from $150 to $250 for a complete ready to run engine. It will take a layman about 45 minutes to swap it out. Get the numbers from the side of the engine, verify output shaft diameter/length/keyway and go from there.

Small Engine Warehouse and brandnewengines.com were two suppliers that came up. Never done business with the second entity so I can't rate them. Ordered parts from small engine warehouse before without problems.

• mvron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks dpunisher. I thought about that. I'll check with Small Engine Warehouse.

• mvron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both smallenginewarehouse and brandnewengines told me that this engine can be only purchased from Honda because of the unique output shaft size @ about $364. I purchased the shop manual and am going to try to pull and replace the crankshaft. Worst thing that could happen is that I could sell most of the parts(new).

• biglumber
    13 years ago

"Both small engine warehouse and brand new engines told me that this engine can be only purchased from Honda "

Unfortunately that is the same for parts. I spent one hour at honda one day to find a blade clutch cable for a 21 inch "elite" honda mower. Never again. Nice leathers though.

Peace

• roadbike
    13 years ago

If you want to try straightening the crank I would strongly recommend that you find a shop with the equipment and skills to handle the job. Not all shops will straighten the crank by bending out of concerns about liability but some do.

I don't know if there is a strong financial argument for swapping out the motor. The engine will cost $364 plus shipping. A new Toro Super Recycler 20092 can be purchased for under just $500.00

From your message I'm not clear on whether you owned the mower since new or just acquired it. If you just got it, it is worth considering that the thumb speed control setup receives mixed comments.

• mvron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roadbike: I just acquired the mower - have not had it since new. Previous owner said he hit a big rock with the mower. I got it cheap. It's only a couple months old. What did you mean that "the thumb speed control receives mixed comments". Are you talking about the vibration?
    Thanks for all the input.

• mvron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Honda shop gave me a quote of about $30 for a new crank(part# 13310-ZM0-640). Not sure it's worth the money to try and have someone straighten the old one out. Got my shop manual - ready to have a go at it when I have the time. If it dosen't work look for a bunch of really good parts on Ebay.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"What did you mean that "the thumb speed control receives mixed comments". There are two paddles or levers that are pushed down to control speed via belt slippage. Some owners compare them to medieval thumb screws and other say they are ok!

A $30.00 new crank and several hours labor sounds like a good deal to me.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

$30.00 Bucks for a "New-Crank Assembly" Sounds to good to be True ! If you can get a decent deal on a crank have it done by any authorized dealer's mechanic on the side . Most Mechanics will do Weekend Jobs for a greatly reduced rate . Otherwise Try the Red Neck Crank Truing Method . Locate the High Point of the Run out and give it a Hilly-billy Sledge Hammer Alignment in the Opposing Direction . Your Decision as they Say "Buyer Beware !" lol .

• backman01
    13 years ago

I have a great hr215 complete with locked up tranny you can have it for $50 Rick ncpa

• PurpleGrass
    10 years ago

I bought a Honda HRR216VXA lawn mower in 2013 last spring. The rear axle broke just cutting my lawn last fall 2013. The left rear wheel is therefore disabled. I could not believe it. This is a 500 dollar grass cutter. I have a four year warranty on it. The place I bought it at would not fix it for free. Their estimate was $150. Hopefully the Honda dealership will fix it.

• rosemallow
    10 years ago

Well, It is a job. You will need a new crank for $35 , Honda Bond and a torq Wrench. You may need a gear puller for the flywheel.
    Depending how bad the bend you may have to cut the crankshaft.
    The only problem you may have is the cam timing. You will need the book or a diagram. If you decide to do this email me and I will send you the information Via fax.