Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realestateguy_gw

Lawn Boy blade chute

RealEstateGuy
12 years ago

Re: Lawn Boy Model 4656

I have been working on my Lawn Boy for the last couple of days trying to get it running so that I can cut my lawn. I probably haven't used it but once or twice (if even that) in the last 5 years. I change the spark plug and put fresh gas in it and it started right up after the 2nd try! It smoked for about a minute and then idled fairly well.

After it ran for a few minutes, I decided to see if it would cut any of the lawn and it didn't. I have 2 problems that I was hoping that someone might know about. I noticed that the cable was broken for the arm that you hold back to begin cutting, so I figured that was the problem that was keeping the blade from cutting grass. 2nd - when I checked to see if it would cut grass, I noticed that there wasn't any regular grass blade exit chute that we usually see on regular lawnmowers. It has a chute and back that is closed and if I lift the clamp it can be opened but I thought that was for the bagger�

I do have a bagger in my garage but I don't want to bag grass at all because my lot is way too big for one and my yard hasn't been mowed in over 2 weeks, so it would be probably a dozen bags filled with grass! The only other thing that I can guess is that it mulches the grass and there is not supposed to be a chute but that does not sound right.

I can't remember the last time I mowed a lawn, so I am a real newbie at this. I know that I have got to fix the cord so that it will cut (I'm assuming that's my problem with that). But I am a bit perplexed by the grass blade chute and I'm hoping that one of the Lawn Boy Pros will know what to do and will reply to let me know. I sure hope that my model doesn't "only bag", but that does not sound right.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Derek

Comments (8)

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

On most Lawn-Boy mowers there is a side discharge chute, a mulching cover, or a bagging chute. With any of these installed the mower should cut grass even with a dull blade. An exception would be a model like yours with a blade/brake clutch that allows the operator to disengage the blade and leave the mower running. That cable is probably the culprit that is preventing the blade from turning.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Sounds to me like you have a mulcher/bagger mower which did not have a side discharge. Not a lot of them.

Walt Conner

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Walt is correct. That model was mulch or bag only.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Don't try to use it with the bagging chute cover/mulching plug removed. Objects could be discharged toward you at rifle velocities.

'put fresh gas in it and it started right up after the 2nd try! It smoked for about a minute and then idled fairly well.'

Hopefully you put 2-cycle fuel in it - a mix with 2-cycle oil. 2-cycles normally smoke to some extent since the oil is in the fuel.

• earthworm
    12 years ago

Derek, why not have a LB dealer repair the mower or better yet, buy a new one before the grass is a foot high.. I guess that you must have been paying a professional to cut your grass for the past 5 years...
    Oh...the downturn in our nations economics..
    Why ?
    And there may be no LB dealers either....
    Sad .

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Strongly suggest that you have a good mechanic give you an estimate on what it will take to fix at least two problems. If the cost gets above $200 then you should consider just buying new and using your mower as a trade-in. Yes, most shops will give you some $$.

• jamie_2008
    12 years ago

If its your own lawn witch it is then dont even worry too much about objects unless you know of people throwing garbage or objects on your lawn or have twigs that fall.
    Just wedge something to keep the door open some instead or make a plugg ir deflector that u can hook on.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

I had a rear-discharge Honda that had a discharge chute available. I got one and used it a few times - it was the best discharging I've seen. Because it was mounted higher than a regular side discharge, it threw the grass out over a wider area with no clumping at all. You may be able to get one of those chutes and find a way to mount it on your mower. Otherwise, just mulch at the maximum deck height and go back and bag up the clippings. After that you should be able to lower the deck one notch at a time and bag or mulch normally. You should look into a new blade for that mower once you fix the blade clutch cable.