Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luther_grow

riding lawn mower cub cadet battery not charging

luther_grow
15 years ago

I have baught a used cub cadet and I am having problems getting it to run. I have put on a new battery, new flywheel, new starter, new blades, new mulching kit, and new belt. The current problem is that the battery isn't recharging. I took it to the shop to see if it had anything to do with the alternator because the mower will run if I charge it with an external charger of some kind but it won't recharge itself. If I run the battery for several minutes the battery will drain down and not start. The shop I took it to says it goes back to the clutch and not the alternator??? Apparently the power to run the blades and mulching kit and engine comes from the battery. The shop said there was more power being pulled because of the blades and engine then what was being put back into the batery. Is it possible that the clutch has anything to do with the battery not recharging. I have never heard of anything like that. I have already put 450 dollars into the 11 year old lawnmower and it will take another 350 to replace the clutch. They told me they would not charge me for the labor but just the cost of the clutch which $350 seems like a lot for a lawn mower clutch. Is it worth it to try to keep this lawn mower going. It was a great lawn mower in its day. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments (2)