Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxx1angel3xxx

craftsman weedeater that dies

xxx1angel3xxx
13 years ago

I have a craftsman weed-eater that dies when the throttle trigger is pulled I think its starved of fuel. Let me start by saying that the piston was completely froze up and I fixed all that by taking the entire thing apart and with alot of wd40 a rubber mallet i got it freed well it ran well for a little while and then started this. oh yeah forgot to put the little fuel filter back on lost it. anyway suck up some junk into the carb and would guess the jets are clogged but Ive look at it several times and to be honest I dont know how to do it. now I have fix a carb before rebuilt one on a pressure washer and cleaned one on a rider so I know a little bit about them its just this thing is so darn small and different I have another weed eater and I know these are alright at best but I got it because the person and my brother didn't think I could fix it by the shape it was in and I got running just forgot about the filter and let the jets get plugged. I don't want to buy a new carb that would be cheating and besides I wouldn't learn anything that way and I also have a filter to put on so I don't end up at square one any help would be appreciated

Comments (4)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Angel: Not a biggy ! Since you have had the unit restart and run and I assume you have some form of usable compression (100 +) . 1st pick up some Premium Brand of Concentrated Fuel System Cleaner. I would recommend a aerosol spray type. Second remove your jets inspect for good condition not bent or damaged (unusual wear) if sound spray in some cleaner , if you have some compressed air or aersol duster after leaving the carb cleaner in for a few minutes give a blast of air . Respray the jets with carb cleaner , re-install the Low Speed jet and tighten carefully until it seats and turn out 1-1/4 turns . Do the same with the High Speed Jet . Refill the fuel tank with fresh fuel with a little xtra carb cleaner . Ensure to install the new fuel filter and inspect and ensure all fuel lines are clean and tight (good condition) . Restart your weed-eater should fire up with a few pulls on choke or pushs of the Primer Bulb. Once warmed up start fine tuning the Low Speed jet to achieve throttle response without hesitation . The High Speed tuning is a little different . Once warmed up achieve WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and high RPM turn in the screw until highest rpm is achieved then turn out the screw until the unit blubbers . Optimum tuning is between Highest RPM and Blubbering Stage to ensure a not to lean mixture. Jet Settings are normally around 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out . Once this is done let the saw return to idle and adjust the idle screw to your liking . I normally set my idle a little higher once warmed up to assist with a cold idle level upon start up . Hope this helps , let us know how you make out , hopefully you will get some additional use from this unit if not to much damage has been done to the rings or bearings long term . Time will tell and hell it was a free bee anyway .

• xxx1angel3xxx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I looked at this evening and located the two needle jets but they have no heads do you need a tool for this
    {{gwi:135279}}
    it also only runs on choke it won't idle are anything with the choke open
    thanks again

• junebug1701
    13 years ago

It's hard to tell from your picture, but on my Craftsman trimmer the needles look like this:

{{gwi:135280}}

So I made a tool using a very small screwdriver and an electrical crimp connector that fit the needles and it works great:

{{gwi:135281}}

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Junebug , nice fab job very creative !

Angel: I also use small needle nose pliers from a electronic set . 1st scribe the heads for indexing to assist with proper adjustment settings or a fine magic marker .