Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redrabbit_gw

Gas in oil ??

redrabbit
9 years ago

I have a White riding mower with a 14hp briggs engine, it hasen't been running right and today I discovered that there is gas in the oil. I found this out by checking the oil which was over full and I lit it with a match,I know oil will burn but not as quick as this lit. I guess my problem is rings ? Is there anything else I can do ?

Comments (9)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Your problem is in the carburetor.
    The needle/seat assembly is leaking through.
    Fix the carb and install an inline fuel shut off valve for a back up.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Bill's exactly right, but as an aside, I would say your rings and the rest of the interior engine are very clean now!

• redrabbit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guy's. I took the carb off today,so now all I have to do is find parts for it. I tired matching up the numbers on line but could not. I never saw a carb with a electrial connection on the bottom of the bowl,what is it ?? I know its a walbro carb with a number 485777 ecthed on it .

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Go to the Briggs web site and download the correct IPL for your specific engine for the correct part#'s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs manuals

• redrabbit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Guys, I put a new needle in cleaned everything ,changed the gas/oil ( I took 60 ounces out ),started right up and ran good. Now I have to figure out a way to put a shut off valve on the gas tank..

• optsyeagle
    9 years ago

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3-25-in-W-x-1-25-in-H-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve-5091/202386208

Put it between the fuel tank and the fuel filter. It says discontinued but you can find them at any hardware store. 1/4" ID.

This post was edited by optsyeagle on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 7:59

• jim109
    9 years ago

you have to change the seat too.jim

• redrabbit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim
    I was told that the seat is part of the carb and can't be changed ? The needle had a rubberized tip and its working just find so far.

• redrabbit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Home depot no longer carries that shut off valve,I'll try thru a Briggs Dealer...Thanks