Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn boy spark issues

Posted by Todd27 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 23:19

I have a lawn boy model 10685. It was working fine and now it will not start. No spark. Tested with inline tester. I think it may be the magnetic safety switch by bagging plate. How can I bypass this switch? It is not a fuel issue as the carb was cleaned in spring. It could also be the coil. Any tips? It has 6.5 Tecumseh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn boy spark issues

The sure way to know it is a coil (the most likely candidate) is to unhook the small green wire at the coil. Any thing that wants to shut off the mower will supply a ground up that wire. No spark w/ the wire disconnected- needs a coil.

o

okay,I'll try that. Would connecting the two wires that run to the magnetic safety switch effectively bypass it? Or just removing ground wire to safety switch? Thanks.

o

It depends on if it's a 'normally open'
or 'normally closed' switch. Do what
Tomplum recommends and you won't have
to worry about the switch, unless the
mower starts with the grounding wire
disconnected from the coil.

o

Classic Tecumseh dead coil. Probably why the Tecumseh company is now dead.

o

I tried disconnecting the wires and still no spark. Just about ordered a new coil and I decided to clean coil and flywheel and readjust gap. It worked. I had not cut he grass in nine weeks due to drought conditions here.had I must have given it enough time to rust up. I have had several Lawn Boys with spark issues, especilly the commercial grade 6.5 Silver Series mowers. I never recall having trouble with BRIGGS COILS. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here