Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skane1_gw

New Mowers Being Manufactured

skane1
10 years ago

I miss the days when you could go and buy a good quality made mower made in either Canada or in the USA.Everything has been sent over China to be mass produced.There is no pride in any of the new mowers because it's just another of the million other mowers being made and sent on down the line for us to buy and for the big corparations to maximize there profites and bottom lines

Comments (10)

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

I'm wondering if 'custom' mowers might start popping up, where a guy takes an older high-quality mower and rebuilds it like all those guys do old cars now. But there are still high-quality new mowers to be had. Either way it's going to cost you $1K. :)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Don't big corporations have an obligation to their stockholders to maximize profits?

• skane1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An air filter for my wifes new car cost $26 from GM but one that comes from China costs only $6.The market is just flooded with cheap junk and everyone is just buying it all up.

• andrelaplume2
    10 years ago

where is the $26 filter made? Probably china. Sometimes its not quality just that it cannot be produced here at that cost. Remember that Kathy Lee lady who took a beating over her clothes being made in China for cheap labor. Well, now thats the norm. I have no problem with foreign companies wanting to compete here...best product wins. But there should be tarrifs to equal out the price of making it here. And don't tell me exports would be hurt...we don't export anything! And if things turn around and we do export again, and certain areas stick it to us then we should stick it back. Best product should win but on an equal playing field.

The trouble is identifying what is quality and what is not. Like the new engines on Toros...good or bad...who knows...everyone assumes everything is junk...but is it?

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

Yah I smile every time I work on my 1977 IH Cadet 80. I have replaced the ball joints in the steering with a couple 9/16 open ends. Made in the USA. I also smile when I start my 20 yr old Toro 3 speed on the first pull. I solved my OPE problems by keeping the freebie top shelf mowers maintained , so I just smile as I walk into Loews past a line up of the OPE. It is my meds. I can't help smiling .

• baymee
    10 years ago

I have always said that China can make high quality items if they want to but unless you watch every move they make, they will slip it to ya. They don't have the same system of ethics that we enjoyed in this country at one time.

My former company thought they could save some big money by buying refractory from China because the stuff made in Ohio was too expensive. It was never uniform thickness and contained pieces of metal and cigarette butts. I suppose a worker just tossed his butt into the mix. A 2" piece of refractory could vary from 2 1/8 to 1 3/4. How was I supposed to build a chamber from that ??? They eventually went back to the good stuff after too many failures in the industrial boilers.

• slls
    10 years ago

I am old enough to remember when Japan sold cheap junk.

• baymee
    10 years ago

Made in Japan meant trash when I was a kid, followed by Taiwan. If it said Taiwan on it, you could expect to trash it the next day.

Look how far the quality has come from these two countries.

• evdpgh
    10 years ago

A lot of the blame should placed on the companies who spec the products rather than the foreign producers. No matter what you think of the Chinese I believe they can build to any quality standard one specifies.

• skane1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually the $26 GM air filter on my wifes new Chev Malibu is made in the USA thank god but the things made in the US sometimes cost more due to factors like unions and company wages etc.The cheap air filter that comes from China has no pride behind it or anything else and likely made in a sweat shop.
    I'll just keep maintaining my old John Deere 14SB and my 1981 GMC class C motorhome and life will be great.
    I hope someday we will be able to buy quality stuff made in our own countries again someday.