Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdloftin

Tecumseh - Toro Ignition trouble

jdloftin
10 years ago

Pretty sure I need a new ignition coil..BUT.. why when I hook up a lighted spark plug tester with only a grounding clip it glows (blinks) fine, but when I hook up a spark plug (multiple plugs just to be sure I've got a good one) I cannot get a spark. (Yes, I grounded the plug to the head)...??? Can the coil just be too weak to make the plug spark, but still light the tester?... I have an ohm tester if there is a way to test [voltage?].. Thanks so much for any advice before I spend what little $ I have on a new coil...Ugg..

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

The little node testers will practically light if you give them a stern glare. If you remove the kill wire from the coil and give it a spin it will have spark at the plug if the coil is good.

• jdloftin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah.. Thanks for that.. Did it and still no spark, so I guess I am comfortable with buying the coil. Thought those things were virtually hassle free. "To every thing, turn turn..."

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Coil failures are somewhat rare in B&S and Tecumseh engines, but obviously it can and will happen. Another thing with the Tecumseh is the magnets are on the inside of the flywheel and have been known to come off. At least, I've heard that a few times on the forum. I'm not sure if the late Tecumsehs were still like that. You'll find out when you remove the air shroud to get to the flywheel/coil - probably you should remove the air shroud and take a look before buying the coil, and clean the cooling fins while you're at it. You could simply have a loose coil.

• jdloftin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that. Definitely had it apart. Magnet is strong (Built into flywheel) Grabs/Holds a 3/8 ratchet easily. It was rusty, so I sanded it clean. Hope I did not screw it up when I did that. (Sanded the flywheel and the coil fairly lighthandedly)... Got one coming from Amazon... Only $21.. after market... Hope it works out.. thanks again...D

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

Let us know what happens. You didn't harm the flywheel by light sanding of the magnets but keep in mind it is a balanced assembly.

• the_0utsider
    10 years ago

"Can the coil just be too weak to make the plug spark, but still light the tester?"

yes, you need megavolts for the spark plug to spark. if you connect the tester straight to ground, you dont need to jump through air to close the circuit.
    If you had the old Tecumseh like mine that has points ignition, replacing the condenser\capacitor would fix the problem.

• jdloftin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.. Yea.. Not very old.. Just the coil (magneto).. Got one on the way.. Here on WED.. let ya'll know what happens..