Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwrace

2003 Husvarna YTH1542XP - Engine Repower

David Shawver
9 years ago

So I thought I would post this for anyone else who wanted to repower this Husqvarna model. After 12 years of faithful service the Kawasaki FH430V engine seized up. There was much to like about the 15 HP Kawasaki V-Twin and this mower. It was a real fuel sipper. Here in south Texas we mow just about all year long so it had a lot of hours on it. This particular model Husqvarna had several things on it that seem to be disappearing with the newer mowers. A 4.5 gallon fuel tank. No foot pedals speed is controlled by hydrostatic transmission with variable speed lever. Cuts in reverse with no changes to key or pedals. No need for cruise control as forward and reverse speed are controlled by lever. For these reasons I felt a repower was in order. After much research I decided to put a 16HP Vanguard V-Twin on it. Engine came with a three year warranty and was priced hundreds less than a replacement Kawasaki.
Matched up the crankshaft size and alternator. The engine bolted to the frame with no mods needed. Starter, fuel, choke and throttle connections required no changes. The only two changes that were needed was in the engine wiring and muffler. Had to purchase a lower mount Briggs muffler and Briggs ignition switch with harness. That made the connections simple. Mower looks and runs like new with new belts, blades and engine. Hopefully I'll get another 12 years out of the Vanguard. Next project is to disassemble the Kawasaki and see what repairs it needs to see if it can be salvaged.