Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-propelled Push Mower

Posted by mc1email WV (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 6:46

Is there a push mower that will offer propel assistance in both forward and reverse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-propelled Push Mower

IF it's propelled, it's no longer a push mower. Walk behind would be more descriptive.

I doubt you'll find any kind of "residential" walk behind with reverse since some people would be cutting their feet off.
Just too much of a liability.

o

Well, there's a 4WD, but still no reverse. If you think about it, would you really want a power mower in reverse coming back at your feet? :)

o

Thank you for the two responses, both of which make a lot of sense regarding the danger of injury. My problem is that my Wife likes to help with mowing my four acres of grass. I use a zero-turn and she uses a regular riding mower. We need to use a push mower sometimes and it is too difficult for her to pull backwards when necessary. Is there a mower which completely disengages the forward drive assist or is the drive assist adjustable to almost completely release the forward assist?

o

I'm not aware of any walk behinds that you can't disengage the drive.
Else the mower would be moving forward when you were starting the engine.

o

I think it is only the front wheel drive models that don't disengage the wheels, as it assumes you will be tilting the mower back to make a turn. All the rear-wheel drive models disengage when you release the drive bail.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 6:33

Both Snapper and Toro can be pulled backwards. On one, just release your thumb and on the Toro, just stop pushing the bar. Both are rear wheel drive.

o

You should buy only a rear wheel drive mower.
On mowers with a drive bar (bail) that you pull up and hold against the bar to drive, as soon as you release the bail it completely disengages. The Toro version is called 'Variable Speed' as you can 'feather' the bail for assist at slower speeds. This is the kind I recommend. The Toro 'Personal Pace' can be tricky to disengage on the pull-back because it has no operating lever. The belt is tightened by a sliding handle as you push the mower forward. So, the drive won't release until the handle rises all the way up by spring action and the wheels coast forward a short distance. The Toro drive is also the simplest and longest-lasting. The 'Variable Speed' and personal Pace' are both variations of the same design with a belt that is designed to constantly slip. Even so, the belts last a very long time - I have been using two mowers with 'Variable Speed' for years with no belt failure. They have adjustments to compensate for stretch/wear.
Toro sells a 20" mower under the Lawn-Boy brand that is inexpensive and has 'Variable Speed'. You find these in Home Centers and they are highly-rated by users. I recommended one to my son and he really likes it. It's a light, maneuverable mower for trim work or smaller yards. Notice the overhead valve engine on the linked mower.

Here is a link that might be useful: LB 10632

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here