Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Premixed Two Cycle Gas?

Posted by fritz1255 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 8:06

Just saw something I have never seen before at my local Home Depot - containers of premixed two cycle gas. These come in metal cans, a little less than a quart. I am assuming the shelf life is better than in a standard gas can? This is an issue at our vacation home, where we use a gallon about every ten years in the trimmer, and the gas goes bad long before it is used up. Any experience with this? How long can I keep a container?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Premixed Two Cycle Gas?

That fuel doesn't have the alcohol in it that pump gas does, so you avoid those problems.
Once the can is opened though, it's going to start to "age". How fast????
Personally, I wouldn't save it for the following year.

o

I can't knock it. I remember when they started selling bottled water and did people laugh. Hmm the laughs on them.
For someone who doesn't want to be bothered with mixing it is good for the homeowner who uses their gas trimmer lightly.
Also it comes in different ratios.

o

The stuff I found on Amazon goes for over $20/Gal and claims, "Premixed and ready to use formula with synthetic oil, a fuel stabilizer and ethanol-free gasoline."

o

I will pass.
I saw it at our local HD. 6 pack 34.99. $5.83 a quart.

Good thing that they claim is a 5 year shelf life if unopened and a 2 year life once opened.

o

I'm going to try it. This is also an issue at home, where I go through maybe two quarts a year, and have to mix the gas and oil in very small quantities. Wife not happy when I use the kitchen measuring spoons for 2-cycle oil!

o

I don;t know if they have ethanol free gas where you live, but you can get it for about $1-1.50 more per gal. where I live.
IF you have that available, you might consider mixing up a gal. of that and dumping what's left over at the end of the summer into your car.
You can use your 1 qt. container for the cabin and bring back what you don't use.

o

Here, "PURE" gas, as ethanol-free fuel is called, sells for about 20 cents more per gallon. Not a significant price differential considering the small amounts used in lawn equipment.

o

I've been using this fuel for a few months now in my trimmers and blowers. I really like it. I'm using both the 40:1 and 50:1 and I have no complaints. It's also supposed to have a very long shelf life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here