Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurafw_gw

Toro Personal Pace recoil won`t pull

laurafw
12 years ago

For no reason that I can determine, my Toro Personal Pace model #20066 has decided not to start. I try to pull the starter rope and it will not engage. I checked under the mower for any debris, blade turns no problem. Another site has suggested it maybe the brake cable?? Not much of a mechanic but this is driving me crazy. Seems that it should be simple enough to fix?? Any suggestions, grass is growing taller every day.

Comments (7)

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Do you feel any compression or resistance when you turn the blade? Is the starter rope pulling out of the recoil or is it stuck and not pulling at all? Remove the spark plug, stick a pencil in the hole and slowly turn the blade. Does the pencil move?

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Hi. Help me clarify the problem. When you say it will not engage are you saying that when the rope is pulled it comes out but does not spin the engine? Or are you saying that when the rope is pulled it won't come out and is stuck. Two very different problems.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

See why shop service writers die young? How in the world can something be fixed when people can't communicate what the problem is?

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I've never seen that in writing Saxman- but there is truth to what you say! Maybe the OP is saying that the starter dogs aren't engaging the cup. Maybe it has sat out in the rain. Maybe it needs the recoil serviced. Or maybe a good whap with palm of their hand on the top will jostle the dogs and it will grab. Or maybe I'm wrong. See line one.

• laurafw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, that I did not supply enough information!! Starter rope does not pull out at all. S# 280019939. Just asking for some ideas on what to look at and would really feel terrible if my questions caused any service writer an early grave!

• roadbike
    12 years ago

If the rope does not pull out at all but you can turn the engine with the blade then it is likely in the starter assembly. It is something that can be taken apart and serviced at home but getting it re-assembled can be a pain. You should get it taken care of at a repair shop.

• laurafw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks roadbike