Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trish7_gw

xceed lawnmower

Trish7
10 years ago

Hi All
I inherited a lawnmower that was in the garden shed of a home I just bought. It's an xceed GLM30H. I've never heard the name before and can't find anything on the web about it. When I plug it in the motor engages OK but the blades don't go round. It's a rotary. I was just trying to find a contact at the company to see if it's fixable but just keep hitting brick walls.
Has anyone heard of this make or know where I can find out?
Thanks for reading.
Trish

Comments (15)

• basementgeek
    10 years ago

Is this a push mower ?, sounds like it. If so they are usually direct drive. It could use belt.

With the motor unplugged, tip it up and spin the blade by hand, does the motor go round and round ?

BG

• Trish7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Basementgeek, thanks for replying so quickly. No it's a rotary mower with a single blade that goes round. Problem is the motor engages but the blade doesn't do anything. I just can't find any site for an xceed mower to contact to ask about it. They just don't seem to exist!
    Trish

• basementgeek
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture(s) of it so we will be on the same page. Not at all sure what you have.

BG

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Is the motor spinning or just humming?

• Trish7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bill
    The motor engages when I pull the start lever - it hums! - but the blade doesn't spin. If it was a vacuum cleaner I'd know what to do with it! Ha! My problem is not being able to get in touch with the manufacturers as no one seems to know this make of lawnmower and I can't find anything online about them. I may just take it someone local if I can find someone to see if they can just fix it for me.
    Trish

• Trish7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pictures as requested by basementgeek. Just an ordinary domestic rotary lawnmower.

• Trish7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and another

• ericwi
    10 years ago

There could be a belt drive or geabox between the motor and the cutting blade. Please use caution when attempting to repair this unit-a spinning lawnmower blade can do serious damage to human flesh & bone.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Sounds like the motor is burned up.
    That often happens on electric mowers because people tend to over work them.

• Trish7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Eric for your advice. I was really just trying to find someone who was familiar with the make so I could contract the manufacturers and see what they said. If I planned to take it apart I would certainly unplug it first.

Bill, the motor is still working OK as I can hear it. The problem is whatever is between the motor and the blade that makes the blade spin. That's the bit that's not working. Does anyone know what that bit is?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Not being familiar with that at all, I'd still expect that there is a keyed shaft to keep the blade from "slipping".

• tomplum
    10 years ago

On the plastic hub e mowers I deal with, I would suspect the hub is broken in the center. Prolly the same here. Have to remove the blade bolt and hopefully you will be able to slide the fan hub off and see the problem.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

The lawnmower is manufactured by ALM Industries. There does not seem to be much information available on this line of products. I did see an ad for replacement blades, but I could find no technical information, or any other parts available.

• Trish7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Eric, I'll see if I can get any info from them. Thanks for your help all.

• j_cook98
    7 years ago

I also have just inherited a ALM xceed lawn mower recently too. It's cutting far too short so I'm trying to buy a blade spanner to remove the blade as my existing flymo spanner 34 mm is too big - I can't find one anywhere, any suggestions?

Jan R