Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachl_gw

Need Help with John Deere 185

rachl
14 years ago

Hello all. I am so glad I found this site!

My husband was the one that loved to do all the yard work but he was unfortunately KIA in Iraq. I am now trying to figure out all the tools and take care of the yard.

I have a John Deere 185 riding mower that I can't find the owners manual for and I don't know how to use it. Does anyone know the proper steps on starting and stopping it? I have ordered the manual but it won't come for a couple days and my yard is looking awful. Since there is a blade involved I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (10)

• ericwi
    14 years ago

Since John Deere is a viable manufacturer, the manual should be available. You might have to make a new posting, titled: "Manual needed for JohnDeere 185"

• rachl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I called John Deere today and ordered the manual and it will come in a few days. I thought maybe someone could give me a step by step on starting it if it isn't too complicated so I can start mowing now. We've had lots of rain in NC and my yard is getting out of hand!

• ericwi
    14 years ago

The single most important thing to do, before you start up the tractor, is to check the oil level in the engine. Its probably OK, but if you were to start the mower with little or no oil in the engine, an expensive repair would soon be needed. The tires might need air, if they look flat. If the motor does not turn over, you might need to charge the battery, or possibly buy a new battery. There are rubber drive belts to inspect & replace as required, but these parts can be used until they wear out, or break. The tractor will not be damaged by a broken belt. The mower blades will need to be removed & sharpened, eventually. You might look into having that done. How much lawn do you have?

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Good advise from above. On your model to check the oil, unscrew the dipstick (usually yellow), wipe it down and set it back into the tube- letting it rest on the top. Pull out and that is your reading. Use SAE 30 or 10W30 oil should you need to add. Fuel should be less than a month or so old, so take this opportunity to buy fresh. To start press the clutch in and hold, throttle lever all the way up to choke and turn the key. It may take a bit if it hasn't run in a while. Be gentle with cranking it over and only crank for up to 10 seconds at a time and letting it cool for a minute if is ornery on starting. It may be a good idea to drive the tractor w/o the deck running to get familiar with how it handles, stops etc. The deck is lowered to the position set in memory with the knob ahead and below the seat. To engage the deck, the PTO switch is pulled.
    This is the readers digest version. Kudos for ordering a manual. The local JD dealer may also have a similar / same model in for service that they could show you the ropes on as well. Sorry for your loss.

• equinox_grow
    14 years ago

Also make sure all the lights go out once it is running. I have the 165 which is the same mower and operates the same way but has a little smaller engine and only has the gas light that lights if the gas is getting low. These are good old tractors and if it is in any shape at all you should not have trouble with it.

• rachl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did everything suggested and got about half of my lawn done (about 1.5 acres) before it started raining! Hopefully I can finish today and then tackle the weed wacker :)

Thanks again!

• hotrod86camaro_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a John Deere 185 hydro it will run, but when i turn the pto clutch (switch) on to cut the grass, the motor will die but can see the grass coming out of the deck befor the motor die

• hotrod86camaro_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a John Deere 185 hydro it will run, but when i turn the pto clutch (switch) on to cut the grass, the motor will die but can see the grass coming out of the deck befor the motor die

• john6212
    12 years ago

Hey Jason...I just bought a used (of course) 185 Hyrdo. I mowed that front lawn and everything cut just fine other than the deck needing some fine tuning and leveling adjustments. However after about an hour I noticed that the grass wasn't being cut anymore, then I was playing with the PTO switch thinking that it was a bad connection or something...then the motor would start to die with it engaged. Similar to the same problem that you're having.

Did you figure out the solution the that problem....PTO Clutch maybe?? I did notice the blade belt is pretty worn and when the deck was lowered it look pretty loose.

Anyways, cheers.
    John

• Beverly Rhodes
    7 years ago

I just wanted to say thank you for your husband's service! GOD bless you and what kind help all these great folks gave to you. I am thinking of buying one just like you have same model and all. Can anyone tell me if $400.00 is a good price for the mower that has been taken very good care of, keep in a shop, no rust but needs a chute on it where the grass comes out because I sure do not want to sling a rock out. please email me if anybody see's this and can tell me if this price is good or not or if this mower is okay to buy? beverlyrck4@embarqmail.com Also I live on 1 1/2 acres and will it cut this size yard okay and is it hard to turn?