Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jp6940

B&S Spec comparison and hydro problem!

jp6940
12 years ago

Okay, new to the forum on the advice of another member:

I have a Bobcat Leo (48") with a 31P877-0121-E1 motor on it. I have run the pee out of it and it has started smoking/burning oil pretty bad.

I just bought another mower (Swisher ZT2560) for $500 and 130hrs on it and a B&S 44N777-0124-E1 on it. The Swisher has a bad right Eaton hydro (778 model) and I have come to realize this part is going to be EXPENSIVE ($850) to replace or replacement parts will be about 3 months from Eaton (monopoly in the industry) to get.

I'm thinking of taking the B&S off of the Swisher and putting it on my Bobcat.

I called Bobcat, and they had an optional 25hp B&S available on my model that I opted NOT to get at the time. He said the model # available was 44677A-0121-E1. I can't seem to find ANY info on these 3 motors to compare them. I need to know crank diameter, shaft length, and the charging amperages. Where the heck do I find something like this? OR, do you know of another supplier than carries Eaton parts IN STOCK? I need the 6 planetary gears to replace in the pump. Thanks for any help!!!

Comments (7)

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Have you called Briggs or checked on their website? The last time I checked the Briggs site they had plenty of detailed engine information.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Why not replace the headgasket on the cat?

• jp6940
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know if I have the knowledge to replace the headgasket. I can swap motors, but going INTO one is another story!
    I always wanted the V-Twin 25hp model but didn't opt for it when I bought the mower. The quality of the cat is WAY better than the Swisher and I would like to keep the Cat anyway. I just thought of swapping out the Single on the Cat for the V-Twin from the Swisher. I'll have the check out the Briggs website then. I have been checking motor re-sell websites and trying to compare specs that way.....silly me.....

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Yah, try Tulsa Small Engine Warehouse. Replacing the head gasket on the 31 series is not difficult, I can send you a PDF of the Service Manual for either engine if you like.

I THINK the crankshaft specs are different but check.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• jp6940
    Original Author
    12 years ago

44677A-0121-E1 was the optional motor that was available on the Bobcat when I bought it. I would like to find that motor, but cannot-B&S is always changing up the model numbers!!!
    I need to look up the specs on the 44677A-0121-E1 and then I can start looking at other B&S V-twins that have the same specs. Do you have any other info on this particular model? (such as crank diameter, crank length, and charging amps?Thanks for your help!!

• tomplum
    12 years ago

446877-0121e1 is the only engine model that seems to match the #s you have. Here are the facts using my #.(Your # is incomplete) The current Briggs specified replacement engine is a 44Q777 3136 and uses 790132 or 796256 crankshaft. There are 5 service notes on transferring parts from the parts from the original 44 to this engine. Transfer the governor spring, throttle control, muffler from the old engine (or buy new) , remove part # 791412 and add part # 691121. You should also be able to make that engine from a 44P777 0026. that comes w/ 3 service notes. Transfer muffler, oil sensor and governor spring. There are several different cranks for the 44" build. If you find a buy, look up the crank and see if it matches the above crank #s. Obviously, there will be a bit more to this and you want to verify the model #.

• jp6940
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOOOOOOW! That's more info than even Briggs would give me!! Awesome!
    So I was missing a number!? No wonder no one could help me out or even find any info on that particular engine!!! Man, thanks! I will be researching tonight!