Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaggnasty

Lawn boy 7265

shaggnasty
12 years ago

I just snagged a Lawn boy 7265 off Craigslist for $20. It's in decent shape considering its age and how little I paid for it. The starter recoil is not working and the carb looks a little crusty. The guy sprayed a little starting spray in the carb and it ran for a couple of seconds.

Anyone know where you can still get parts for this thing? I mainly bought it to tinker with, but I would like to get it running.

Comments (13)

• earthworm
    12 years ago

Check out the LawnBoy site; they seem to have the parts for my 7229 LawnBoy, a two-stroke.
    $35, but now she needs bearings and wheels..

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Go to the Lawnboy site and check the master parts viewer to get the parts numbers that you need. Then go to places like jackssmallengine or mowpart and find the parts. Here's the link to the master parts viewer.

Here is a link that might be useful: MPV

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

Ebay is loaded with Lawn-Boy parts.

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Yes, Ebay is also a very good source.

• shaggnasty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips, y'all...especially that link.

Now I've got to see if I can find the entire starter recoil assembly, since I'm pretty sure I don't have sense enough to take the old one apart and get it back together.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

I am suddenly having trouble getting the LB parts viewer to work right.

Walt Conner

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

It's still working ok for me Walt.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Use the Toro site for LB info.
    BTW, it is very destructive to use starter fluid or straight gas to start a 2-cycle, particularly with an iron cylinder sleeve. This removes the oil from the cylinder and normal humidity can freeze the rings to the cylinder. Always use regular 2-cycle mix as starter fluid if required. An excellent substitute for mix is gasoline and Marvel Mystery Oil, 5:1 ratio. Not to be used for extended operation but just to introduce into the carb or plug hole for starting purposes. This is also an excellent 'fogging' mixture for cleaning/storing.

Here is a link that might be useful: LB 7265 1976 'D' Engine

• shaggnasty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sax, I practically begged the guy not to do it when I went to get the mower, but he insisted. When I got home I removed the spark plug and squirted a little oil in the cylinder and turned the blade a time or two.

Also, thanks for the link.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

I think the 'D' engines take a 16:1 mix with Lawn-Boy oil. Just happened to think of that, but Walt will know for sure.

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

Depends on which D series. The D's with the plain bearing wrist pin require 16:1. These are easiest to identify by having 3 piston rings.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Uhhmn,I read the label on starting fluid. Some have a touch of oil in them. Same with carb cleaner Plus, I mix a rich 32:1, so a momentary spritz isn't gonna be cataclysmic. Straight gas is a definite no-no.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Premium starter fluid and or carb cleaners will not have any adverse affect on Iron Sleeved Small Engines or Diesel for that matter . They have anti galling additives as Andy has advised . The Older or cheaper grades should not be used for prolonged periods , although numerous Treefarmers and log hauling units that I worked on within the 70's both gas and diesel had pressurized quick start systems for engine priming within winter mths. I don't recall a single top end related issue within normal usage . However do recall one inexperienced operator who overised the system until he hydraulic locked a Cummin's Diesel lol .