Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JD JX75 won't stay running

Posted by jdgt225innh z5 NH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 10:54

I've got a John Deere JX75 mower that's about 5 years old. I'ts got a Kawasaki 6.75 hp engine. It's been running great ever since it was new, except for yesterday. I lifted it up to put on a couple saw horses to change the blade from standard to mulch. I put it back on the ground, serviced the fuel tank, and started it up. As soon as I take it off choke it quits. It will only run with the choke on, and it runs fine with the choke on. I know the blade swap has nothing to do with this problem, but what could it be? The owners manual says nothing about a fuel filter. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JD JX75 won't stay running

Was the mower tipped at all? Does it have a shut off valve on this model? If no and no, drain or remove the carb bowl and see if any water / debris are present.

o

I tipped it a bit when taking it on and off of the saw horses. I didn't realize it had a shut-off. I suppose it's for safety? Anyway, just for the heck of it when I started it up today, I tipped it in the opposite direction. Much to my relief it started running normally again. Is this normal with this mower? Or is there something in the fuel control failng?

o
RE: JD JX75 won't stay running correction

Sorry tomplum, after I reread your post I realized you were asking me if it had a fuel shut-off, not telling me. No, it does not have a manual shut-off. Perhaps I should drop the carb bowl because it sounds like there may be debris like you said. Especially if there are changes in the running condition when tipped from one side to the other.

o

"Especially if there are changes in the running condition when tipped from one side to the other."

Sounds like water in the fuel tank.

o

jx 75 starts in choke mode and runs for only about 2 seconds, was running fine all day then died and now only runs for a couple of seconds. Any idea?? thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here