Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robar_gw

Lawn Boy mowers not being made anymore?

robar
9 years ago

Lawn Boy mowers not being made anymore......any truth to that? I just called a local mower dealer and he told me that. He sells Toro, Snapper and Cub Cadet plus a few other brands, I think he's kind of in the dark with his information......he also said the Snapper doesn't make the High Vac anymore.....which I know to be false.

Comments (6)

• rockinar
    9 years ago

I see them at Home Depot. It appears to me that Lawn Boy sold out to MTD and now MTD whores out a junky 4 stroke version under the Lawn Boy Name. The good old 2 strokes of yesteryear are no more.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Lawnboy sold out to Toro un 1989.

Toro destoried them by just painting Toro mowers green and slapping LB stickers on them.

About the only place that sells them now are Home Depot and Amazon.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Lawn-Boy was bought out by Toro in 1989. For a number of years Toro continued with business as usual. Due to stricter regulations from the EPA the 2-cycle engine that Lawn-Boy was known for was discontinued in 2004 (I think it was). After the 2-cycle engine was discontinued Lawn-Boys became just another mower with a 4-cycle engine (various brands used) as they were basically just re-badged Toros painted Lawn-Boy green. A couple of years ago (I think it was) Lawn-Boys became Toro's low-end line (reportedly built by MTD for Toro) and are only sold at Home Depot and Amazon.com. They can no longer be purchased at independent dealers and my local dealer who sold Lawn-Boys for years also told me that they're no longer made any more...I don't think the independent, old school 2-cycle Lawn-Boy dealers are happy with the current direction that Toro has taken Lawn-Boy and so are telling customers they're no longer made. You can find Lawn-Boy's current offering with the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn-Boy : Easy to Handle. Hard to Beat.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

They seem to have a couple of new models on the site so I doubt if they're discontinued. It's a 'niche' mower now for those who want something a little different. Good price and backed up by Toro's parts availability. I found them on Home Depot's site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn-Boys at HD

• phototone
    9 years ago

LawnBoys are just another choice of 4-cycle lawn mowers without particularly unique features. If you want a NEW mower, then there is no compelling reason to buy one labeled LawnBoy unless the price is very good. The days of unique 2-cycle engines, and well designed aluminum decks are long gone. Also, if you mow on hills, where the mower is tilted a lot, then you really have no good choice except to use a classic 2-cycle mower such as a lawnboy, as the common 4-cycle mowers with splash lubrication will starve for oil and seize up.

This post was edited by phototone on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 10:50

• Edward Tasi
    last year

I just bought a green 07 Lawnboy precision 0 turn lawnmower with a Honda 16 hp engine.Does anyone ever owned one? If so are they fairly dependable?