Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvalencia_gw

Toro recycler mower Tecumseh engine - won't start

mvalencia
13 years ago

Hello.

I have a 22" Toro recycler mower (Model 20005) with a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine (Model LV195EA) that will not start. I apologize about the length, but I get annoyed when seeing other people's questions with absolutely no information.

A little backstory:

The mower is almost 5 years old and until the end of last summer, it started as promised on the first or second pull. Since then, it takes more pulls to start.. but eventually starts and runs like new. Even when shutting it off to take a break, it starts back up easily and usually on the first light pull.

Upon trying to start it this Spring... it just wouldn't start. So I read many forum posts and changed the oil, gas, air filter, spark plug and cleaned the brass jet bolt holes in the carb bowl and the float looked fine. It started for me and worked perfectly.

Now here is my problem... The mower takes NUMEROUS times to start, like 20+. Sometimes, I give up and wait until the next day and it'll eventually start and again run perfectly. And after it starts, I can shut it off and take a break (or three) and it will restart immediately. But then 5-7 days later... You can just start over at the top of this paragraph and repeat that process. grrr...

I'm pretty sure at this point it has passed a maintenance issue and onto buying an engine part. But which one??? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• baymee
    13 years ago

My first thought is that your primer button isn't working right. Try a very short burst of carb cleaner spray into the carb with the air filter OFF. If it starts right up, you have primer problems.

It's been my experience that the Tecumseh carbs mounted on the left side of the engine can be a problem for cold start gas supply. You can remove the bowl nut and nothing comes out. Gently bang the front wheels and the flow starts. Weird problem. Next time it won't start, loosen the bowl nut and see if gas comes out, more gas than just what's in the bowl, I mean.

• mvalencia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will try the carb cleaner and the bowl nut idea and see what happens.

Thank you for your timely response! :)

• mvalencia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. I loosened the bowl nut and gas came out... a decent amount. So I tightened it back up and tried to start the mower. IT STARTED UP IMMEDIATELY! wth? I just finished mowing the yard and it continued to start back up when I shut it off with no hesitation.

So a million thank yous for your advice, but now how do I figure out what is wrong with my mower so I don't have to do this type stuff every week?

Again, many thanks!

• baymee
    13 years ago

I don't know, maybe the carbs aren't low enough, but it's a common phenomenon with that setup.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sometimes 14.7 Atmospheric just does not over come Static Head of Internal Frictional Loss and Internal Dynamic Pressures and Debis lol ! :) Cleanliness is Next to Efficient , which is Next to The Almighty !

• d_lawn
    13 years ago

I think your carburator was clogged somewhere. I had the same probelm recently. I have a 12 year old lawn mower that always started on one pull. Few weeks back it wouldnt start at all, even if it did, it died after a few seconds.

After going to the internet I found out i had to clean teh carburator. youtube has some good illustrations. After dismantling and cleaning the whole carburator, it started on first pull.

I think you should clean the whole carburator or do it the next time you see the mower strugling to start.

• don1964a
    9 years ago

I am having the exact same problem as malvencia. My Toro 6.5 hp mower wont start. The damn thing has a mind of its own and just will not start. and after i get pissed and walk away, come back later and it starts right up...runs great. can shut it off and restrart no problem. let it sit more than 5 to 7 days and it just wont start. I've taken the plug off and it smells like gas. what is going on with this thing? I'm ready to junk it and buy new mower. but this shouldnt be breaking down already. please help