Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere STX38 deck adjustment

Posted by stubbysfatboy (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 11:47

I am having some trouble getting a nice cut with my STX38 and have replaced the blades already. Now I figure it's probably time to level the deck but dont have the owners manual. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the correct procedure for adjusting the gauge wheels to adjust the deck. I see the diagram on the deck by the left gauge wheel but dont know what the numbers mean in conjunction with the numbers on the deck level handle. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere STX38 deck adjustment

In my opinion you will get a nicer cut with the gage wheels up, but low enough to protect the deck- rather than using it as a floating deck. I guess it also depends what you are looking for and look to correct. To me, it isn't important that the actual height of cut matches the #s on the handle. What kind of QOC issues are you trying to correct? Uneven side to side issues can often be corrected by basic leveling. Ensure the blades are running true, tire pressure even end then level side to side using a small rule or the handy JD leveling gauge. With the blades straight across, measure from the tip below the cutting edge to that nice level concrete garage floor it's parked on. You will see the adjuster from where the deck hangs. make them even as possible w/o sweating to get that last 1/8 of an inch! Front to rear pitch is useful to negate stragglers and overall rough looking cuts. Commonly set lower in the front 1/4 - 3/4 inch. Remember where you started on this one in case you don't like the results from changing it. Good luck!

o
RE: John Deere STX38 deck adjustment

Thanks for the info. I am just getting an overall rough cut so I will try to lower the front of the deck. I am assuming that this is done just with the 2 hangers from the front of the deck to the frame? I also seem to be getting a little bit of a line of grass left uncut right in the middle of the 2 blades, and new blades didnt correct it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here