Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sddiy

Yard-Pro Kohler Xt-7 won't stay on

sddiy
10 years ago

My 2 year old mower won't stay on. It starts for a second or 2 and then turns off. Then I have to wait a few minutes before it will start again.

I tried changing the oil, spark plug and air filter. I also took out the fuel line (and other lines I saw) and checked for obstructions.

I'm pretty sure my warranty was only one year, so should I try anything else to fix it or should I take it to a repair shop. The mower was only $200, so would paying a repair be pointless and I should just buy a new one?

Comments (14)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

It sounds like a simple carb cleaning may be the way to go. Gently clamp the fuel line and remove the bowl (10mm) cleaning out the inside of the bowl and then taking a spray carb cleaner and blow up through the center tube in the stem. You should be able to unclamp w/ the bowl off and get a stream of fuel out of the carb to verify fuel is entering the carb. Reassemble, be sure gas is fresh. If you have more problems write back w/ what you had found.

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how do I clean the inside of the bowl? I took out a screw from the bottom side of the carb and the gas came out of it. This screw was at an angle. There might be another screw right in the bottom of the carb, but I don't have clearance to take it out or make sure its a screw.

Is that how the carb bowl comes out? I can't take the whole thing out since there are springs and such attached to it.

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay i was able to remove the bowl and clean it. It seems stained at the bottom. Is that mean its dirty? I was expecting something solid.

I'll get some carb cleaner tomorrow and blow it up the center tube.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Service manual at the link-
    Clean the Main Jet holes out.

See pages 19 & 21

Here is a link that might be useful: Service manual

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 13:28

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info.

I took the carb assembly out. The top part of the carb assembly is full of soil. How can I clean that out? Seems like I would have to use cue tips for about an hour to clean it well. Is there an easier way? Can I spray water on it?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Did you get your can of carb cleaner? Blast it!

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks. Carb cleaner seems to have done the trick!

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey all, I just noticed the lawn mower is now leaking gas from the carburetor area. Its a small leak as I have used the mower a couple of times already without noticing.

So I tightened the nuts on the carburetor but it still leaked over night. Did I break something when I cleaned the carburetor?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

There may be a chunk of crud that got washed into the needle & seat when you had the bowl off.

Since this appears to have a fuel shut off-
    Close valve.
    Remove carb bowl.
    Remove float and needle.
    Open fuel valve for a few seconds to flush.
    Reassemble, making sure the bowl fits/seats correctly.

Smell the oil for the presence of gasoline to see IF gas was leaking through and into the crankcase. Change oil if you do have gasoline there.

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

needle & seat looks clean.

The bowl gasket looks like it was a tiny bit out. I tried to put it in snug but it seems the gasket is too big now. Did the rubber expand somehow? Where can I get a replacement gasket? the sears replacement carburetor number is 14-853-45-S . However, I can't find the gasket number by itself.

I also want to check if the float is good, manual says to submerge it. But in what? water?

This post was edited by sddiy on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 19:31

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

IF it's just an "O" ring, you should be able to get replacement (might have to buy a bag) ones at a "Power Transmission" shop. The kind that sells hydraulic pumps, hoses, bearings belts....

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is an oring.

I have no idea what a power transmission shop is. Is that an automotive parts store?

• sddiy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think i found a substitute.
    Its either:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051Y28I2/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051Y28J6/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

The diameter is about 2", but I am not confident of the exact measurement.

I guess I can get the smaller one and stretch it?

Also, is this gas proof? Will it works in a carburetor?

• tomplum
    10 years ago

The Kohler Xt kit is a PN 1475701s . It will have the updated float valve and bowl seal that became distorted from the carb spray.