Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonow_gw

GX345 stalling frustration

nonow
13 years ago

I'm trying my hardest to avoid the dealership. Seems, however, as though that might be my fate.

I bought a 2002 GX345 w/ less than 200hrs. Looks nice, clean under the hood (Kaw-FD611V.) Started right up, drove it around the lot a little. SOLD

Get it home, ready to put the fear into my grass. Mowed about 20min and guess what? Yeah, stalled. It started back up immediately, but in seconds it chugged and died again. This time it wasn't to be started again for about 20 minutes or so. I can recreate this pattern over and over. A slight variation, which I couldn't say is worth mentioning...but, I can buy a little time before it stalls completely, by messing with the choke.

So, naturally, I came here. Turns out you've all seen this before and there is plenty of advice. I went down the list. In-line fuel filter, no joy. New off-time delay module, no joy. New ignitor module(thanks shop that sold it to me,) no joy.

So, I started eyeballing the carburetor. I know squat about that little devil. Little afraid of the tiny parts I keep reading about. & frankly, I have no way of knowing if that's even the culprit.

Dealer is quite a haul from here. They will fix it, or try to, but I'd like to exhaust my options first. Can you help me? Or am I beyond help?

Thanks, and I do enjoy reading your forum.

Comments (14)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

You didn't mention checking the fuel cap to ensure it is venting. Wouldn't that be nice? Generally, carburetors don't cause hot conditions if they are running well. It is posible to have debris or water hanging out in the carb bowl and for it to be intermittent such as up or down an incline etc. If the rider has sat for a while, it is also posible that gummy deposits on the valves can create some frustration, how likely? Blasting some carb spray down through the carb venturi whilst it is running will help with these or a dab of fuel system cleaner used according to directions also. You could also carry a can of carb spray with you. When it dies, can you set the park brake, crank it over and run it by spraying into the carb venturi? tells you a lot.

• nonow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks tomplum, venting the fuel cap was my first resort, forgot to mention that one.

Fuel, and carb cleaner, I'll try 'em both.

Crossing my fingers

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Non: 1st of all bring it back immediately to the Dealer ! Have him play around with his second had mutt. You can fix it in 10 minutes with a little common sense that's not the issue ! He is on the hook , what would it of costed him to ensure the carb was tuned and fuel was treated with conditioner . Along with a new plug , fuel filter and air filter . I hate when Seller's do this to unknowledgeable Buyers.

• nonow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ewalk, I absolutely agree. If this place was down the block, it would already be parked there for the seller to work on. In fact, I told him so, at length, hence the free ignitor ;)

I figured if it was something easy, I could save myself a hefty trip and some gas money. Once to drop it off, and again to pick it up.

Definitely feeling like I botched this purchase decision, just hoping I didn't.

• nonow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seafoam in both ends. No joy.

I started it, let it warm up. Sprayed the cleaner down the throat. It smoked more than Aunt Esther. Then I shut it down according to the instructions for a "Hot Soak." Started back up, not much smoke. Ran for a while. Then I went at it again. Sprayed cleaner down the throat, while I was doing that, it stalled. Now it won't start for 20 minutes or so.

Does that help at all? With diagnosis, I mean.

Thanks guys

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Will it fire back up and run once it stalled with a shot of carb spray? If in fact it come from a regular dealer- it should go back one way or another.

• nonow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, once it stalls the spray doesn't help.

I made a call this morning, they will be looking at it tomorrow. Guy I talked to mentioned the possibility of a coil failing once the engine gets hot enough. We'll see.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll let you know what the verdict was.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Non: It could be a Weak Ignition / Coil Module . If the Dealer does indicate so and your purchase is over 30 days ago be sure to get yours back , identify it 1st so you know it is actually yours. I would rather think that the Carburator has become fouled a 30 minute or less job for the Dealer to correct . If he is reputable he will do so free of charge . If not I would be suspect . If he states both Coil and Carb Related issue I would be very Leary of his Ethics . If you have had the unit less than 30 days get your money back unless everything is corrected No Charge !

• wrager
    13 years ago

I was going to offer up the coil. I had a car that would do the same thing. Once it got hot enough, the coil would fail.

• nonow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still at the shop. Just got an update. It's now got a new fuel pump, and lines, plus the tank has been removed and cleaned. No joy.

Carb is apart and had some dirt. They are "hoping" that will take care of things.

I'm not sure what happened to the coil theory. I suppose I'll ask when I get my next update.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Non: Wow talk about a White Elephant Sale ! I would insist on a expressed written warranty on this unit . To many things falling through the cracks on this unit from a Dealer. Have you dealt with this facility previously ?
    Note: Do not pay for anything , your time and inconvenience
    had been taken advantage of .

• nonow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dirt in the carburetor seems to have been causing the woes. I'm told it's running night & day different now.

All the new parts were troubleshooting attempts that didn't work. Not necessarily malfunctioning parts. I suppose if they had tried the carb first, I wouldn't have a new CDI, Time delay module, fuel pump, and lines for free.

They are going to bring it to me, to save me the trip.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for all your help with this. I think I'll be reading this forum for a long time to come.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Non: Thanks for sharing , unfortunate experience indeed. If you require further assistance let us know. In the future I would ask around your area for a more thorough Repair Facility should you require one at a later date . Not all are as inconsiderate as this one . Never attempt to Sell untested equipment to the Public .

• hovanec_sssnet_com
    13 years ago

I had the exact same problem on my GX345 last year. I tried all of the same things you did.

Turns out it was a small piece of metal in the carb. When I would mow on a slope in a certain direction it would stall. But I didn't figure that out until the repair shop used an air hose to blow out the fuel line and a piece of metal flew out.