Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 19HP Twin Lawn Tractor not turning over

Posted by stembridge 8 - GA (david@greenpeas.us) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 13:18

I started out by getting a new solenoid, and figured that would fix it. Won't turn over at all. Checked all connections.

Then I ran a line from the solenoid's red cable direct to the starter, and it turns over. Touching a screwdriver to both terminals on the solenoid causes it to turn over as well (when connected properly)

This is a model 917.252561

Reckon I need to double check the solenoid, and make sure thats working. The wires all seem to have solid connections, and the fuse attached to the solenoid red wire is good.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 19HP Twin Lawn Tractor not turning over

Jumper 12V directly to the SMALL terminal of the solenoid.
It should click and crank the engine.
IF it does, the problem is "upstream".

When the key switch is in the start position-
12V is supplied to the S terminal of the switch FROM the B terminal.
Power than goes through the clutch/brake switch and then through the attachment switch to the small solenoid terminal.
Make sure you have power TO the B terminal of the key switch. A bad fuse connection is a common culprit.

o
RE: Craftsman 19HP Twin Lawn Tractor not turning over

Thank you Bill, looks like I had a combination of a ground wire not tightened down, and also the brake switch was being pressed down hard enough. Finally git it fired up!

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here