Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Mower Trouble

Posted by therian 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:22

My 22" Briggs/Craftsman (250cc self propel front drive) mower died after 15 years of loyal service (cutting 1 acre per week for half those years) and so I decided to buy another Craftsman mower with Briggs motor.....boy I'm not enjoying this decision. My old mower could cut 8 inches of grass and mulch it down and leave no trace, this new mower cuts 1-1 1/2 inches of grass and leaves debris at the end of each line (when I turn). I sharpened the blade and it helped but I think the main issue is my blade is not a mulching blade but a "all purpose" type.

Here is my model/link to mower
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-190cc-22inch-front-drive-self-propelled-ez/p-07137043000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Model 917-370431

I didn't think this would be an issue but this stupid mower has a "5 star hop" blade adapter....the issue is I cannot find a 22" mulching only blade and I cannot find a blade adapter to get away from it.
I want a basic no-gimic mulching blade OR a blade adapter that has the basic "3 holes" (example http://www.baileysonline.com/productImages/image.axd/i.OEP+91574/w.1000/h.1000/x._AZ/Oregon+20-1+2++Gator+Mulcher+G3+Mower+Blade+3+8++Center+Hole+91-574+for+Swisher+60++Deck_L.jpg

I want to stay away from those stupid "teethed" mulching blades as they are garbage and painful to sharpen (example http://www.toro.com/PublishingImages/TellingPageImages/cm_gm_atomicblades_s_lg.jpg)

Anyone have any advice on either subject? I've looked all over online and I cannot find a 22" mulching blade (no teeth) and I cannot seem to find a blade adapter that will work with my mower and not have the "5 star" design on it. Is there any kind of universal adapter that would work or perhaps a custom metal shop that could make a worth while blade? Thank you.

This post was edited by therian on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Mower Trouble

Sorry about the URLs....apparently this website doesn't handle long URLs well.

o
RE: Craftsman Mower Trouble

Well, I can tell you that the Atomic style blade made the standard Toro Recyler mulch better. I cannot understand how it is more difficult to sharpen either. What I can offer you is that 420463 is another option for your star blade. I may have both to compare, I'm not sure. They don't nestle together so I assume that the lift is different. 421176 hub w/ the 406713 blade may be able to replace your star hub /blade. You will have to be the judge of that. This is also an "all purpose" blade. Some aftermarket star blades my be configured differently as well. Fact is, over the years the EHP service blades have had number and shape changes. The old 3 hole will give you various blade configurations in OEP. I would also suggest putting a tach on this. Post back your results please.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here