Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itprojectmanager

Troy Bilt TB20CS 2 Cycle Trimmer Weed Eater will not run

itprojectmanager
13 years ago

I figured how and what the problem was and wanted to post the result because I can see I am not the only one with the 2 cycle beast and this problem.

The trimmer will not run if you pull the throttle. For the past 2 months I have had to run it half choke just for it to operate and its only 2 years old. The gas lines were rotten at the beginning of summer so here is what I did.

- Replaced all the fuel lines and fuel stone in the tank.

- New air filter

- New spark plug

- Fresh 40:1 fuel

This DID NOT fix the issue. So I took off the carb and it was clean. I flushed with starter fluid and it still did not work. I noticed a large screw on the side of the carb. I took off the screw and the cover it held and there was a small filter that was loaded with small particles. I flushed that screen with some starting fluid and it runs like new.

To check your screen, just remove the plastic air filter / muffler cover. Remove the one large screw on the side where the throttle connects. Remove the cover it holds on and inspect.

No carb kit, no service call, use some cleaner or rubbing alcohol.

Comments (17)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

It: Replace your starting fluid usage with a concentrated Fuel Cleaner / conditioner. Ether based Starting fluid can destroy carburetor seals and diaphram over time , if you feel you must use starting fluid spray it directly into the spark plug hole not the carb venturi . The Inlet pre-filter on the right side carb body normally is the 1st inspection . On many economy trimmers the inline filter only removes larger debris . The screen as you have indicated is convenient to check in helping diagnois fuel starvation problems , however will not prevent varnish or gumming of carb circuits due to lack of fuel storage preparation (stabil) or annual Lucas or Duralube Fuel treatment usage which will resolve 90 % of Hard Starting complaints caused by Ethanol Gas or just sour gas issues. Good Problem Solving utilizing the KISS Process .

• joeabecker
    12 years ago

Thanks for this posting. Would never have figured it out. Saved me $100 on a new one.

• annie14
    11 years ago

Thanks for the article. After several months of frustration trying to get this trimmer to run, even looking at buying a new trimmer, you gave me the solution to the problem! It's easy to clean this filter. After taking everything else apart, I had to look for an answer online. The fuel stone had fallen off in the gas tank due to a worn fuel line, so I knew it was a filter issue. Starts easily now, the primer button works, and it runs well without stalling out. Thank you for the post. Wish I had read this first!

• Wallyg8er
    9 years ago

Please include photos of the carburetor screw and filter if possible,to make it easier for us not familiar. Thanks

• Jim Schuweiler
    8 years ago

I have had the same issues, but too would like to see some pictures as i do not have any such screw? I had actually gotten so frustrated that my came home last Saturday to mine in the trash can, where she took it out and put it back in the garage and said you need to figure out the problem as it was a present from her. I should have taken it back and asked for a better brand?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Jim Schuweiler
    8 years ago

Just an update - I found a youtube video with something that helped me. http://youtu.be/tm9uJokX0r0 Only I was able to adjust the two small screw(?) with a 1.5 mm allen wrench inserted and it now goes from idle to full speed with no problems.

• 1saxman
    8 years ago

Yes, that's the other thing on these 2-cycle trimmers with EPA certification; they had to be 'leaned out' to pass and in many cases you need a special tool to adjust the Hi-speed and Lo-speed mixture needle valves. Get the tool and adjust the mixtures - they start quicker, respond to the throttle and just generally are happier. And, your blood pressure is lower!

• kint_daniel
    8 years ago

Daniel

My problem is my weed trimmer was running great till I heard it changing from noise while using it. Just like a metal noise was coming up and it died out. No way to get it started up again since. A couple months before this happened I replaced the carburetor, spark plug, fuel lines and filter and the plastic prime bulb. I took the spark plug out and checked if the cylinder wall was is still OK. Everything looks OK. When I turn the spark plug in again, prime it, it is very hard to pull on the starter rope. It is just like it is sitting under pressure? Crankshaft looks OK, Checked the ignition which is OK, starter rope works OK with spark plug out, so I'm out of inspiration.

Any idea what the problem is?

• 1saxman
    8 years ago

Is your trimmer a 2-cycle?

• kint_daniel
    8 years ago

Yes, It is.

• sdeanp
    8 years ago

Kint_Daniel, visit the YouTube post (mentioned in the above comments) and read through all the comments and you'll find someone talking about a laminated counterbalance that can come loose... you may have that problem, from what you wrote it seems you're experiencing mechanical interference.

• Kevin Pedigo
    6 years ago

Here's my problem. My Troybilt TB22 just stopped running. I check fuel likes and replaced the spark plug. Still would not start. I then bought a spark tester and found I get spark about 1 out of 20 pulls. Ideas?

• Michelle Calvin
    4 years ago

I have TB32ec weed trimmer doing exactly how the original post was about. PLEASE PLEASE post pics. I can't get the muffler T40 screws out tp check spark arrestor screen.

I have TB32ec weed trimmer thatthe original post was about.

the original post was about.

the original post was about. the original post was about.

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Convenient tool Tom !

• HU-370630863
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My weed eater just stopped running. It’s getting fire. Tried starting with ether sprayed directly into the spark plug hole, no start. ignition system working properly Plenty spark no start Troy bilt