Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Lawn Tractor gas tank removal

Posted by gpg101 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 15:46

I have a Craftsman model #917.272461 that has a leaking gas tank or gas line. How do I get to the tank to determine the source of the leak and how do I remove the tank. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Lawn Tractor gas tank removal

If the tank is under the seat--well, that in itself should give ya an idea of what ya must do. If up behind the instrument panel, well, the removal should be easy to figure out. Could it be the hose? Fuel hose seems to deteriorate much sooner then a few years ago.
To remove some of the under-seat tanks, removal of the rear fenders will have to be done.

o
RE: Craftsman Lawn Tractor gas tank removal

Well, you have to remove the body of the tractor. It seems like a big deal, but it isn't really. there are 2- 9/16" nuts under the front of the foot pad and two bolts that hold the body on in the rear. These are the same bolts that hold the seat springs. Remove them, and any knobs, fuel cap that have to pull through and lift/ twist the body off. next you will see a metal U shaped bracket that holds the tank on. It is a good idea to mark this so you know its orientation when it is put back on. With this tractor, it could be a split at the seem or a leaking grommet at the bottom of the tank. What ever the outcome, now is the time to clean the tank (if not replaced) put in a new grommet and fuel line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here