Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plafollette

Honda mower leaking gas

plafollette
11 years ago

I just received a Honda HRX217HXA mower. The fuel tank was empty so I use fresh fuel, turned the fuel valve on, turned the choke on and tried to start the mower which refuses to start. I then noticed fuel that had dripped onto the floor and mower deck. It appears to be coming from somewhere behind the air filter. I have been trying to find diagrams for the carburator and fuel tank to see if I can locate the problem and fix it myself. Any suggestions or telling me where to go? LOL I really would like to keep this mower as it is better than my TroyBilt mower.

Comments (11)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Sounds like flooding from a stuck float. Try managemyhome for an owners manual or maybe just contact honda.com.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Shut the fuel valve off-
    Remove spark plug & ground the lead.
    Pull the rope a few times and "blow" the excess gas out of the combustion chamber. (you don't want spark)
    Reinstall plug and see if it ties to fire.

• plafollette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just received a bit of news regarding my Honda mower. There person who gave it to me said that the previous owner had used high octane gas in the mower. After that it would not start or had difficulty starting it but Honda states to use 86 octane or higher so I wonder if the higher octane caused problems.
    I am getting ready to take the air filter and carburator off to work on it. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

The octane would not cause the leak, although gas not treated with an "additive" and/or gas that had been stored too long might have caused the engine not to fire. This could in turn have led to flooding. Best Wishes--Carl Atlanta GA

• plafollette
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in the process of trying to remove the carburator and having a challenge removing the fuel line. The clip is hard to pinch but I think once I can get pass that I will be able to remove the entire carburator to work on it. Lots of fun! :-p

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

use some wd-40 or other brands of slickem to remove stuborn hoses and bolts. I would try tomplum cleaning method with carb. spray can cleaner untilizing the instructions and cautions on the can first before tearing the carb. off. Not uncommon problem for equipment thats been setting or neglected for few months or years.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

In my opinion, your first priority should be to see
    EXACTLY where the fuel is leaking from. It could
    be something as simple as a cracked fuel line, or
    it could indeed be a stuck float in the carb.
    Use mirrors, or disassemble the cowl,or whatever
    it takes to see the origin of the leaking gas.
    Then go from there.

• stinkytiger
    11 years ago

Hi Mr. Plafolette,

I think your leaking petrol issue may be a cracked fuel tank. American Honda Motor issued a recall on the HRX217HXA models. Which I think is the one you have.

Affected Serial Numbers
    MAGA - 1400001 ~ 1453724

More info is:

What is the problem?
    Due to a manufacturing defect, over time, a crack may form in the fuel tank mounting tab causing a fuel
    leak.
    What should you do?
    We strongly recommend that you stop using your lawn mower until the fuel tank has been replaced. If
    you need assistance, please see a member of this dealership�s staff or any authorized Honda Power
    Equipment dealer for assistance. If you need additional assistance that this dealer is unable to provide,
    you may contact American Honda Customer Relations at (888) 888-3139.
    In cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and California Air Resources Board

Recomend you stop using this mower until you can get it checked over.

Best, Mike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safety recall link

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Octane didn't cause the leak. If its not running and there is fuel leaking I'd say that the fuel hose from the gray shutoff to the carb is damaged. But who knows what the previous owner did to it.

If you need a new carb planopowerequipment.com sells them for ~$16 plus shipping for a complete carb.