Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman mower starts and quits

Posted by rbaily51 Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 16:25

I have a Craftsman Mower Model 917.378922 with a Briggs and Stratton ebngine. It primes, starts, runs for 2-3 seconds and quits. I can continue to do this. Any help? Have fresh gas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman mower starts and quits

Try this as a quick fix, tie the brake cable start the mower and keep on pushing the primer bulb to keep the engine running this should clean out all of the old gas out of the carb make sure you have fresh gas in the tank, hope you did not have 1/2 tank of old gas and you just added fresh gas. when I say fresh gas I mean fresh no more then a few days old and the tank must have all fresh. If this fails let me know and we will go to the next step

o

Sounds like a Tecumseh problem, not a Briggs! Are you sure of the engine mfgr?
Rustyj

o

On the bottom of the carb, the bowl is held on with a brass "nut".
That is the carb Main Jet.
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the jet and clean the holes with a fine wire like you'd finf on the tie for a loaf of bread.
Flush the fuel line for a couple seconds, re-clamp and install the part.
You should be good to go.

o

I have a similiar problem with a Craftsmans edger. You say that the bowl is held on with a brass nut. Is this the float bowl? It is held on to the carb by a brass "High speed bowl nut" and screws into "Main nozzle tube". Do I clean out both the "high speed bowl nut" and "main nozlle tube" with the wire?

Any help would be appricated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here