Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_2007

replacing rings on lawn boy 10424

eric_2007
13 years ago

I have a lawn boy model 10424 which is a 6.5 hp dura force gold pro from 2002. The engine had low compression possibly due to wrong oil or lean mix. The engine had 60 psi prior to disasembly. The rings were siezed within the piston and one minor score line on the piston however cylinder is undamaged. I found a replacement ring and piston set at the local store however need advice on instalation. I know usualy on lawn boys you insert the piston from the rear side of the cylinder since the head is casted as one assembly. I tried installing that way with this piston however the new piston has alignment pins in the ring grooves which makes it much more dificult to install having to keep the rings compressed in the proper postion while inserting. On the dura force models do you undo the connecting rod at the crankshaft end and insert the piston though the front end of the cylinder or is there a trick to keep rings compressed and alligned while inserting in the cylinder from the back end? Also did lawn boy make a ring compressor for this series engine since the diameter is bigger then prior engines. The assembly cost $45 and told rings are not sold seperatly so do not want to risk breaking a ring while installing

thank you

Comments (2)