Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendrake_gw

Honda buying advice ?

greendrake
13 years ago

I'm think of buying a Honda HRX2172HXA from a dealer. I don't need it right away and wonder if Honda typically has an end-of season sale?

Are the Hondas at Home Depot exactly the same as the Hondas bought through a dealer? For instance is the Honda HRX2172VKA identical to Home Depot's HRX217VKA? All of HD's models lack the ending "2" (217 vs 2172).

Comments (12)

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

They're the same. The missing number is how the mower dealer knows it was bought from a non-dealer. Will Honda back you up when a dealer refuses warranty service? Such things have happened.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

It's a Crap Shoot ! If the Price is Right Why Sweat the Little Things ?

• mike_home
    13 years ago

Why would a Honda dealer refuse to perform warranty service on a Honda mower purchased somewhere else? Doesn't Honda reimburse the dealer doing the service regardless of where it is purchased?

Has anyone ever been refused warranty service on a Honda mower because it was not purchased at the servicing dealer?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Personally No , but have heard and witnessed same within Chainsaw and Grass Trimmer Manufacturers. Seems they frown on some Box Store Purchases lol..Go Figure ?

• roadbike
    13 years ago

A Honda (or other) dealer with a busy shop might not be real excited about making the service line even longer for his real customers by taking in work from Home Depot shoppers. Just look for a dealer with no lines in the service department. Sometimes you have to take what you pay for.

• jtyrie
    13 years ago

On the other hand, the big box reseller often contracts the local dealer to do the warranty work anyway.

• mike_home
    13 years ago

I just had my 7 year old Honda mower repaired by a Honda service dealer. The Honda dealer which I purchased my mower went out of business a few months ago. I had no choice but to go somewhere else.

There was no comment by the new dealer about where I bought the mower. He had no problem taking my $180 for the repair.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Rb: Good Point , don't recall the Op but seems there was a Serial Number or perhaps a Model Designation that triggered the Anti Social Behaviour from the Dealer's Stand point . Don't recall the manufacturer. Personally does not sound like a great business decision on the Dealer's part , since the Servicing is where the most revenue normally occurs , along with repeat customers when treated fairly !

• greendrake
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let's get back to point.
    Does Honda typically run a end of season sale?
    Someone told me last week that Honda was getting out of the mower business, any thoughts?

• mike_home
    13 years ago

I have never seen Honda advertise an end of season sale. You may want to ask your local Honda dealer if he is open to a end of season discount on a machine he has in stock.

In the spring Honda offers an extension of their warranty. This past spring Honda was extending the 5 year warranty to 6 years on the HRX217 model. The purchase needed to be completed by May 31 to qualify.

I have not heard of Honda of getting out of the mower business. They currently on the top of Consumer Reports list of push mowers. The Honda engine is also used by other mower manufacturers. I think Honda is largest manufacturer of gasoline engines in the world.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Green : Our Local Honda Shop has Fall Clearance Pricing of Cycles and Generator Sets . Also Preseason Snow-blower Sales but have not seen Advertising for Mower End of Season Sales , now that you mention it . Did not hear any Rumours of Honda Discontinuing their Mower Manufacturing Either ?

• greendrake
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. One of the drivers of the self-propelled walk behind mower search was my wife's willingness to try it. We have a 22 year old White lawn tractor that's been having serious problems over the last couple of years. Background - our level lot is about 1/3 acre but we have lots of trees, etc, not a big, plain yard.
    Anyway, we checked out Honda's and Toro's and they were simply too big for my wife (petite) even if they are self-propelled.
    So, I was driven to repair the White as best I could. It hasn't run worth a nickel lately and I knew the governor wasn't working right but didn't really understand what could be wrong. The deck had a huge hole in the front that I patched with round, galvanized hvac duct a few years ago but had worn through.
    A buddy at work (and the thought of spending $700 for a walk behind) encouraged me through the governor troubleshooting. I pulled the engine and removed the sump and found the slinger was missing the "top hat" the fits over the shaft and pushes against the governor shaft at high rpm. Replaced the slinger and patched the deck the best I could with some metal signage and a mig welder and I'm back in business.
    I'm at the point where I wish there was some sort of internet-based vintage White tractor appreciation society that I could now take part in!