Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rimexboy

Honda HRB423 pull cord stuck.

rimexboy
9 years ago

Hello all.
I'm in need of some help on a lawnmower I bought last weekend from a car boot sale...
It was working fine at the boot sale the guy even started it and said here you go, have a go.. So I did and it seamed fine.

Well I bought it stuck it in my car took it home and then went to cut the grass and the stater cord got stuck.

It's a Honda HRB423 self propelled lawnmower and here is a picture of the engine number

{{gwi:137090}}

I've removed the starter recoil unit and it appears it's got one of the white bits missing from the recoil unit so got another off the Internet but it seams I may be missing another part...

I think it's called the starter shroud or something like that, as I've tried the replacement recoil unit and it's like the white bits come out of the recoil unit and it's like they are getting stuck out as the lawnmower has nothing to stop them.
I've looked on the Internet and I understand there are 2 types of Honda GV100 engines the K1 and the K2 but I can't find any information about the part I may be missing, it may be number 3 in the picture below.

{{gwi:137092}}

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Simon

Comments (26)

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

Well, that is not the right picture for what you are talking about.
    I think the white bits you are talking about is the pawls.
    If they stay out and do not retract the part #3 will do them in.
    The HB423 is not sold in the USA but i would thing the starter is similar.
    Also your picture is missing part #3 and #1.

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi thanks for replying,
    I'm not sure what my Honda mower is missing but I'm pretty sure it's missing something,
    as you say the pawls come out all the way as on my mower it seams to be missing something but I've no idea what.

I'm just a little confused as to how the guy at the boot sale started it lol...

Has anyone on here got the same mower please
    {{gwi:137096}}

Thanks Simon

This post was edited by rimexboy on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 15:26

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

Send a picture of the red plastic shroud upside down.

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply,
    Here is the picture of the replacement recoil starter I bought of the Internet and it all works as it should and is exactly the same as the one I removed.

{{gwi:137097}}

My mate has one of these mowers the same model number but his is the push version,

Here is a picture of his one from the top showing the massive difference in the locating of the pawls when fitted.

{{gwi:137098}}

As you can see it's like a shroud is fitted to contain the starter recoil pawls,
    Where as mine does not have that for some reason.

His one showing my finger against the shroud
    {{gwi:137101}}

And mine again
    {{gwi:137096}}

And my finger showing there is nothing to contain the starter recoil pawls when trying to start the mower, causing my problem I think.
    {{gwi:137102}}

Has anyone else got this same model mower at all?
    Could I simply change the cooling fan / flywheel or is this not possible?

Many thanks simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I've got a observation to make that might prove helpful. Looking at your original post your first picture shows that the engine model/serial number is GV100-9025416 but in your second picture (diagram) it's for model/serial numbers GV1001000001 - GV1001999999. I don't think that's the right diagram and consequently doesn't match your engine, if you can get the correct diagram you may be able to find out if you're missing something.

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a great observation thanks for that, but that was the only picture I could find showing the shroud,
    I have been in contact with a honda parts place and they can not help me as my mower has no numbers on the deck of the mower.

Any other suggestions at all please anyone?

Thanks Simon

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok further to that I then went back and checked on this site again.

www.lingshondaparts.com

Selected lawnmower
    Model HRB423 PDE
    Engine serial GV100-9025416

like this

{{gwi:137103}}

Please note the serial numbers in the picture are what should be on the deck of the lawnmower i assume (mine is missing)

{{gwi:137105}}

I then clicked on flywheel

{{gwi:137106}}

And it looks like I am missing item number 2 in the diagram, so I then emailed the company above to be told that part is now discontinued.

So with that in mind I think my next option is to maybe change the flywheel of another GV100 engine.

Has anyone any other suggestions in mind please?

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about changing the flywheel so I won't comment on that. My suggestion would be to check eBay (and other similar places on the net that may be available in the UK) as well as Honda mower dealers and places that repair Honda mowers for the part you need. Also, if you don't have one you can download the Owner's Manual for it at the link below. I looked at it briefly and it might help for figuring out more specifics about your mower. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda HRB423 Mower Owner's Manual

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi thanks for the reply,
    I've trawled the Internet loads and have downloaded the user manual spike to the parts people and they say it's discontinued the flywheel,

So it looks like a flywheel change or an engine change

Thanks Simon

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

Sir,
    As stated in my first reply you were missing parts.In your second diagram you are missing part number 2.
    Just remove the bolt and instal the correct part..

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

Also, you are showing me 2 different pictures of engines. In one I see the part and in another I do not.
    The flywheels are different because one has the riveted on screen and the other has the bolt on screen.
    Can you explain or am I confused.

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks for the reply and sorry for any confusion,

The mower I have has the riveted screen, and yes I totally agree I need part number 2 as you mention.

Has anyone got part number 2 please as it's now a discontinued line here in the uk.

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Didn't find your part but I did find the site below and when I select GV100 model and then GS type, the parts diagram for the flywheel looks like your friends flywheel not yours. There are selections for the GV100K1 and GV100K2 (based on your recoil starter I think you may have this model) with multiple types. I looked at a couple of them and from the looks of the diagram they don't all have the "cup" part. I don't think you can get parts from the site but it does lists part numbers which might prove helpful if you can ascertain which of these you have and the actual part and part number you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electronic Parts Catalogue for Honda engines

This post was edited by dewguy1999 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 15:33

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow yes that's a great site, and like you say they don't all have the "cup"

I'm puzzled now really as it seams it needs one to stop the pawls from being dislodge or ripped out.

I've had a look around on the net and it seams the part I need is no longer available so I'm going to have to think about other options

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I did some more sleuthing. Based on the forum discussion link below (original in French, translated with Google Translate) I think you may either have the wrong recoil starter for the flywheel that's on your mower or you have the wrong flywheel for the recoil starter. I think it would be easier for someone to have replaced the recoil starter than the flywheel, so, my conclusion is that it's the recoil starter that's the wrong part. If you look at the first pic of a recoil starter in the discussion I linked to it looks to me like it would work with your flywheel. Does your friends mower have the same recoil starter?

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda Motor mower HRB 423

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow that's amazing information and I thank you very much for that, that first picture in that link looks exactly what I need, I have tried looking for a part number or a supplier but it keeps coming up a blank.

That second picture in that link is the same as my mates one and is the same as the old broken one I removed from my mower,

Thanks Simon

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it's part number 28400-ZG1-T12ZA which is ã85 plus postage... (Ouch!!)

Looks like I need to keep looking,

So I think that makes my engine a HONDA GV100 K1

thanks simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I looked at that parts site again these engines all have a flywheel like yours but use that other kind of recoil starter (why there's 2 different part numbers I don't know):

GV100K1 -- LD2
    GV100K1 -- NICG

28400-ZG1-T12ZA STARTER ASSY., RECOIL (HFI) *R8 *
    28400-ZG1-T12ZB STARTER ASSY., RECOIL (HFI) *NH1*

GV100K1 -- LD2
    GV100K1 -- N1CG

28400-ZG1-T12ZA STARTER ASSY., RECOIL (HFI) *R8 *
    28400-ZG1-T12ZB STARTER ASSY., RECOIL (HFI) *NH1 *

GV100K1 -- NIR2

28400-ZG1-T02ZA STARTER ASSY., RECOIL (HFI) *R8 *
    28400-ZG1-T02ZB STARTER ASSY., RECOIL (HFI) *NH1 *

On the other hand these engines all have a flywheel like yours but use the kind of recoil starter that you have:

GV100K2 -- A1
    GV100K2 -- A2
    GV100K2 -- A2CG
    GV100K2 -- A2G

28400-ZL1-003 STARTER ASSY., RECOIL

Confusing isn't it.

From something I found on the net it said that in the states Honda was very tight with their information and that only authorized dealers could get parts and that's why they made the information difficult to get. Apparently the serial number on the mower has encoded into it whether or not it's K1, K2, etc. Apparently it designates which revision it is. Do you have the serial number for the mower itself, that might shed some light on what your dealing with.

You originally said that the seller started it and offered you to "have a go". Does that mean you started it as well or just tried it out? Your subject says the pull cord was stuck, did you mean it was stuck in the pulled out position or that it wouldn't pull out? Maybe you have the correct parts and there something else to it not working?

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow I have read that post 3 times and confusing it is for sure.

The seller at the car boot sale started it with ease, and I had a go, it all seamed fine and I bought it.

When home I tried it and the pull cord was getting stuck about 5 to 6 inches out, so removed it to find one starter pawl missing.

How he ever started it I will never know but he did without any problems,

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I suppose that it's possible that pawl broke when he started it. However if it still doesn't work after replacing the pawl then I don't know.

I've looked around to see if I could find others with a stuck rope and a common issue was the blade brake not being depressed or not working properly. This would only apply if you mower has a blade brake since I know older mowers didn't have this safety feature.

Another issue that I saw specific to Honda mowers was that the handle wasn't pulled fully out or up and as such the lower ends of the handle would stop the blade from rotating.

Lastly here's a link to another forum that I've run across (where I'm getting help with my Lawn-Boy mower) that has a Honda sub-forum and even better there's a guy who goes by Robert@Honda that is an employee of Honda and may be able to shed some light on whether or not something is missing or what it may need to correct it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn World: Honda Forum

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks for all your info and help trying to sort this,

I've just got in from another 10 hours at work on a Saturday and cut my grass with my mates mower which is the same as my one except a push model, and it's quite a nice cut, I think I've gone a bit short, so next time it will be one setting up.

{{gwi:137111}}

I will try and get on that site when I get a chance

I will keep you posted

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I hate it when the lawn needs cutting and your mower isn't cooperating or down for service. I'm awaiting parts for mine right now and the lawn is beginning to look like it's abandoned, hopefully next week I can get the parts installed (and they'll cure my problem) and I can get the grass cut. Your lawn looks nice and this time of the year it grows so fast that it will be needing another mowing before you know it.

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dewguy for all your help,

It looks better in the picture the dogs and the kids love the garden.

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Kids and dogs are the best reason to have and to maintain grass. :-)

• rimexboy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well some progress at last,

after work today I decided to try and change the cooling fan with another GV100 engine I picked up complete for ã10.

So off with the cooling fan to find the diameter is bigger than the one I removed, and also the reverse of it is further out... Not letting the fan sit lower and making it hit the engine.

So out with the grinder to sort out the reverse side, then a trial fit and it hit the engine break...

So back of with the fan and changed the engine break... All was ok and then I had to change the coil as that was different as well.

Then all back together and hey bingo it's working yippee!!!

BUT and yes most story's have one, the engine is surging, and it seams there is a petrol leak at the bottom of the carburettor....

So it looks like I will need to take a look at that next, while I'm there is it hard to do a strip down clean and reassemble of the carb?

Thanks Simon

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Glad to hear that you've made some progress, but like my Lawn-Boy mower it sounds like you've also taken one step forward, two steps back. I don't know very much about this kind of thing but when I was looking for solutions to my problem, which also involves the carb, fuel leaking and now it not running right, I came across info indicating that some full Honda replacement carbs were something like $15-20 (which I guess is about ã9-12) so you might want to consider that as option (if it applies in your case) rather than rebuilding it. If you decide to rebuild it YouTube has lots of videos for that kind of thing and I've included a link below. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube.com honda mower carb rebuild