Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new (to me) Tru Cut

Posted by rockinar (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 17:30

Picked it up off Craigslist for $400. I don't know much about it other than it's a commercial model. It functions fine, just need some blade and bedknife work as far as I can tell.

Any know how I can find out of old it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new (to me) Tru Cut

Looks like it should be a decent mower for your purposes.

Are you sure it's a commercial model? Looks more like a home model to me, but hard to tell with a single picture. The Honda GC was the default engine on the Home models, while the Commercial models usually had the GX Honda. However, some Commercials also came with the GC engine.

Only way to tell for sure is to find the builders tag from Tru-Cut on the mower. If the model number begins H20-XXX it is a Home model; P20-XXX means Professional, and C20 or C21 means Commercial. There isn't much difference between Professional and Commercial. The Home model uses die-cast gears in the differential and in the clutch plates. The high end use machined steel.

As for the age, you'll have to rely on the serial numbers of the Honda, and assume it was the original engine. There is no information regarding age to be found on the Tru-Cut label.

o

Ah. I thought the home model had belts instead of chains. You're right, it's probably a home model. Oh well. It still works fine. It just needs a reel and bedknife sharpening and the chain guard is missing.

o

I wouldn't sweat the primary chain guard. The reel chain is more important to be covered for safety purposes. As for Home model, I wasn't bashing your mower. It's still a good, competent machine. Keep up with maintenance, and it should last you 15 or 20 years. If you don't have a grease gun for the zerks, get one from Pep Boys or someplace similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here