Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_c_homesteader

3hp Briggs & Stratton seizing.

a-c_homesteader
13 years ago

This is on a Craftsman front tine tiller. Engine has been sitting for 10 years. I replaced the carb diaphram and spring and it runs somewhat better but not 100%. Adjusting the needle valve doesnt help. I changed oil (SAE 30) and tilled with it and the engine seized up. I got it broke loose and let it cool down and fired it back up and it'll run for 20 minutes and seize again and it keeps doing this.

Comments (33)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Time to put the Ole Dog to Bed ! Pick up a replacement Engine and retain the chassis for rebuilding the current engine is a waste of time and effort .

• roadbike
    13 years ago

If it is seizing up after being run hard while tilling it may be overheating. Reomve the fan shroud and clear out all the stuff that may have accumulated over 10 years.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I checked when I got and the block is clean.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Are you sure it is the engine seizing? Could it be in the drive line, transmission or tiller?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is the engine. It does it without the belt on. Once it gets up to temp it seizes. The oil only has about 1 hour run time on it (Citgo SAE 30) I pulled the cylinder head and the cylinder is pretty much destroyed. This is an aluminum bore also

• roadbike
    13 years ago

I wonder if it wasn't run dry or seriously overheated sometime earlier in it's life.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's possible. This belonged to my neighboor and he never checks oil or takes any care of his equipment.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Mental Note , Don't buy any mechanical equipment from A/C's Neighbor unless its for Metal Haulage to the Dump for Cash lol !

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any time I get something from him I'm leary about it. This tiller is pretty light duty and not high quallity.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Well...just till for 18.5 minutes, shut it down for 10 minutes and get a drink of water. It works, but don't put a nickel into that beast - just run it conservatively until it dies. Hope you didin't pay money for the tiller.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was free so no loss. I've been trying to kill for good ever since it started doing this it but it won't die

• ewalk
    13 years ago

I can just see it now ...Sorry Dear but I had to let the Tiller Cool down so I had another Beer ..Roflmbo !

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha. It runs seizes up. Put the visegrips on the pulley and turn it. Fire it back up and do that again. Maybe I should drain the oil :)

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Yeah, run it without oil for about 10 minutes and loosen up those tolerances some!

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

8 trys with no oil and it stil goes. Barely any compression now. I wanted to lock it up for good but it keeps on going like the energizer bunny

• ewalk
    13 years ago

So...set it up for Electric Start with an extended ("Extension Cord") and sit back and Crack another Beer and Wait for the fires Works lol ! :) .

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It pretty much has no compression anymore. I fix small engines as a hobby but trying to blow this one up has been fun. Maybe I'll try water and metal shavings tomarrow

• ewalk
    13 years ago

a-c : We should have established some side bets on how many attempts till meltdown lol :)

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Try a 70/30 mix of oil and valve lapping compound!

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the idea Roadbike! lol

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I officaly give up. I tried water and metal shavings in the crankcase. Has no compression now but still spins over. I guess 3hp Briggs are tough

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yeah the Old B&S Line were Die-Hards lol :)

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

This thread made me ill, like reading an account of animal abuse. I would have taken the approach of trying things out to see if it could be made better, like Opti-4 oil, which improves rubbing surfaces. But, whatever, it's dead now and the torment is over. :)

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Walked by it today and she goes. It's starting to screech now when it runs and it gets harder to pull over now. Lol

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sax , Cover Eyes and Ears Roflmbo...Better than Animal House !

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahaha.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it finally went. Locked up tight and snapped the rod

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Whens the Wake I want front row seating !

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Wake will be tomarrow night at 6:00

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Did it go with a bang or a whimper...

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It went bang

• ewalk
    13 years ago

1st Bud'd on Me lol :) .

Note: All kidding aside B&S broke the mold when they discontinued their Old 3-HP , Great Little Work Horse!

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ewalk: Briggs broke the mold when they put emissions carbs on the old flatheads and then discontinuted them