Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimmer Reel mower not driving strongly

Posted by TboneSandy none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 17:51

I bought a 25 inch Trimmer with a G200 5hp Honda Engine on Craig's list about 2 months ago. It runs great and I have used it regularly, but after using it for about 20 minutes yesterday, the drive drum slowed down and nearly stopped so that I had to almost almost fully push the mower to complete my job. It seems to work only sluggishly. Is there an adjustment to be made or a tip to the shop? Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimmer Reel mower not driving strongly

Never heard of this before. Been using and learning about Trimmers since the early 1960's at my Dad's knee.

The roller is chain driven from the main jackshaft, so it's a positive drive. However, the rubber tread on the roller is bonded to the roller's metal structure. It's possible that the bonding failed and the rubber cover is slipping on the cylinder. See if you can move the rubber tire relative to the cylinder.

If the rubber is slipping you can remove the roller assembly (disconnect the chain, then remove the two u-bolts), pull off the rubber and try to re-bond it using a high strength adhesive compatible with rubber and metal. A new replacement roller is p/n 25601 and is $118.50.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here