Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiefsfan_gw

Help deciding on snow blower

chiefsfan
13 years ago

OK, even though we are in a heat wave I am looking at new snow blowers. The area is a double driveway, flat and concrete.

I am looking at the:

Honda HS520A and Toro Power Clear 210

Maybe a used one if I can find one not abused.

Honda seems over priced and Honda "may" have cheapened their products but kept the premium price from what a local dealer said.

Comments (14)

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

A friend of mine bought a Craftsman walk-behind snow blower about 6 years ago, and also bought the maintenance program with it. He plows out a two lane road, about a quarter mile or so, and its been great so far.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Honda , Yamaha , Ariens , Toro , all Great ! Check out their features and decide on what you need vs what they think you need ! The bottom line is what can you afford ?

Note: My Selection Choice is reflected in the sequencing posted above .

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yamaha makes snowblowers? I have decided on single stage and debating on electric start. It would be a nice thing to have.
    I just took a look at the Snapper as well.

• gorper99
    13 years ago

Toro-Single Stage is OK if you have 6" or less of dry snow.10" of wet,then good luck.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

I have to concur with Rusty I have a Second hand Craftsman that I got for a sweet price form a Buddy who repairs and sells Lawnmowers and Snow-blowers I have had it for 4 yrs now in Harsh Northern Canadian Climate and have not been disappointed . As for Single Stage I would really rethink that route , do yourself a favour and find a Middle of the Road 2-Stage (New) or a Top Shelf Unit slightly been used . Of course you have to have an idea of what is available and what you really do require . I have been working on Various Small Engine Operated units for years , so a little problem does not dissuade me , however if you are not mechanically inclined New is the way to Go !

• wrager
    13 years ago

Before I relocated to Atlanta from Akron, I went to buy a snow blower. First bought an Ariens 2-stage. It barely moved the snow. I returned it for the Honda single stage.
    We had a ton of wet snow that year. The Honda did an awesome job. Couldn't praise it enough.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

How much snow do you get during a storm and is it usually wet and heavy or light and fluffy. If you get much in the way of accumulation then a two stage blower is a good idea.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Wrangler: Apparently your Belt was slipping on the secondary impeller . Yes Single Stage Blower will move a lot of wet snow , just will not move more than a few feet at a time . A properly maintained 2-Stage will throw Crystallized snow 30-40 Ft. Even Wet Snow at least 8-10 ft.(vertical).
    As Roadbike and Gopher have indicated a single stage Unit really ties your hands when you get a big dump of snow .

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We normally get less than 8" at one time, most of the time it's 2-4". The exception was that Christmas Eve blizzard last year........
    That is why I am looking at the single stage.
    I did look at Ariens but no single stage on their site.

I have a Honda HRX mower and love it so the Honda blower would be nice but pricey. After some phone calls nobody has any snowblowers in stock.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Chief: You will probably be happy with whatever form of Honda Blower you get with the little snow that you receive it's a easy decision $$$$ ! Have Fun Shopping All the Best let us Know What You Find :)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Chiefy: P.S. Yes Yamaha doe still Manufacture Snowblowers , Sorry missed You Question . YT624E is a Super Nice Model Hydrostatic Transmision 4-Cycle Engine ! Big Peso's :) .

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yawzers, that Yammy is pricey!! That is a sweet looking machine.
    I gave decided on the Toro Power Clear 221QE, they will be in stock in about a month.

Now for the monkey wrench, late today I found a Honda HS 520AS left over from last year. Still new. They guy said he would give me a summer deal. No harm in looking!!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Small World Bro I have a HS 826 that a Buddy just got in that I myself may be interested in . It is one of three that I will be servicing this weekend . Have my fingers crossed that it is as good as he says it is lol. Good Luck with either unit are stout for your requirements !

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One question on the Toro R-Tek. Is that the Duraforce from Lawnboy? RIP