Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzbinnice

Tecumseh 7.5 HP Snow King Connecting Rod Install Help

itzbinnice
12 years ago

Greetings,

My sincere apologies for this long post with pics but I want to be as thorough as possible.

I need information on two problems I'm having

1- How to correctly install a new connecting rod

2- The correct torque specifications for the Tecumseh 7 1/2 HP OH195SP Snow King engine.

Let me begin by stating I have posted about this engine before but requesting info about the age of the motor.

The engine is a Tecumseh OH195EP off a Ariens ST7524E (932141) snowblower.

I bought this off a friend that was original owner and only used 3 times since 2007. The engine was never tampered with.

It was working perfectly, I was giving it as a gift to my sister. I drained the oil to transport it, I also

gave my brother in-law the proper oil to add when he got home with the unit.

Long story short, he didn't add the oil and started it which seized the engine.

I picked it up to repair and discovered only minimal damage, connecting rod broke as well as flywheel shear pin.

The internals suffered no damage with only aluminum welded to crankshaft journal from connecting rod.

I used muriatic acid to dissolve the aluminum, then polished with 400 & 600 wet & dry paper, looks brand new.

I ordered a new connecting rod and awaiting its arrival.

I have the engine service manual for it that owners manual listed, Tecumseh Service Manual for 4 cycle overhead valve (695244A).

The manual is useless to me since it seldom refers to my specific engine.

Manual Cover Picture

{{gwi:137463}}

I need advice on how to properly install the replacement connecting rod (on order, not received yet).

Using Google I found only one video that showed how to replace the connecting rod. Although it was for a 9 HP Snow King,

My biggest mistake when I disassembled was not to mark the piston and connecting rod of how it was installed in the cylinder.

Looking at his video I found it contradictory to how mine was set up.. He stated the connecting rod should be installed with the stamped numbers on the casing facing you, with the long bolt on top and the shorter bolt with oil dipper on bottom.

My piston is marked with an arrow on both the top and side skirts.

If I follow his advice and connect the rod to the piston with the arrow pointing right on the piston(to the valves), and the stamped numbers facing you, THE LONG BOLT will be on bottom, not on top as his video shows.

Below is pic of his installation

{{gwi:137464}}

You can see the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoGIAPdBJuU

Below are pictures of my piston and broken connecting rod exactly how I removed from engine.

I did mark one side to show how original was so I have reference when replacing with new one.

Unfortunately I did this after I removed from engine, should have done before sliding all the way out.

Notice my piston arrow pointing to the right with the stamped numbers showing, but long bolt on bottom.

{{gwi:137465}}

Below is pic of my piston turned 180 degrees, notice long bolt on top, but no stamped numbers and piston arrow pointing away from valves.

{{gwi:137466}}

Below is pic of the information the service manual shows for connecting rod installation.

Does this mean my piston can be installed in either direction and disregard the arrows stamped on the top and skirts,

I do believe they are there for a purpose and would need to go in the direction of the arrows.

{{gwi:137467}}

Now to tackle the next problem.This engine is a nightmare to find information on since it's a 7.5 HP as well as dual shaft,

It's never shown in any of the torque specifications charts I have obtained.

I need to have the correct torque specifications for the OH195SP engine. The block is aluminum with a cast iron flywheel.

I need the following:

1-connecting rod

2- cylinder cover

3- flywheel nut

Below pic is specs form service manual but does not show my engine.

Notice the two options for connecting rod, either 105 or 210 in lbs, I'm sure it is the 105 since the connecting rod bolts

only have a 1/4" head. I think the cylinder cover should be 115 in lbs.

As far as the flywheel goes, there are three options, I believe it would be 550 ft lbs since the flywheel is cast iron.

Could somebody review these specs and advise the proper settings since I'm lost on this.

Perhaps somebody has a better publication that shows the specs only for the OH195SP engine.

{{gwi:137468}}

I am truly sorry for making this post so lengthy but the lack of information for this particular engine is frustrating.

Any advice or suggestions would sincerely be appreciated, please advise if any other information is required.

Comments (5)

• aj_allen
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OH195SP = OHSK75 Use the specifications under OHSK60 - 70 and the instruction for the same. Tecumseh changed the model numbers so they could use the same numbering system world wide. But they didn't ever update the manual.

AJ

• itzbinnice
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ajay
    Thank you for thr guidance on thee specifications to use.
    Makes sense that the torque the 1/4 connecting rod bolts to 105,with the other option being 210.

As far as the piston installation goes, the manual is no help.

Looking at the piston it appears it is not off center and can be inserted either way. I will go ahead and install it with the arrow pointing towards the right (to the valves), with the long bolt on top and the oil dipper on bottom. This is not the way it came out of the engine though. It appears that it doesn't matter which way the piston arrow is pointing, while assembling at the factory the assembler didn't look at the arrows since he knew it didn't matter how it went in. I only wish he had chosen to install with the arrow pointing right, it would have saved me the confusion this caused.

If anyone thinks my planned installation is wrong, please advise.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I have a similar situation with my Ariens too. My good 7hp flathead has been apart once with a broken valve spring. I stole one from a good 8 hp to get it going. Then it vibrated out the oil drain pipe. OOps. Before I realized what had happened it threw a rod I have a coupla parts scenarios to attempt before I go to plan B: another engine. Just like Ross Perot, I'm all ears . Please post your repair saga,

• itzbinnice
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@andyma

Looks like my connecting rod won't arrive until some time next week so it may be a while before I can begin to assemble.

I am getting more and more frustrated with the lack of information from the manuals and doing searches on Google.
    I only have one shot of getting this right since there are no replacement engines or shortblocks for this Ariens ST7524 blower.

Reviewing everything again I see another potential issue which is confusing. If you look at the manual(figure 33 in original post), it states the marks on the connecting rod must align and face out. Simple enough, but if you look at the oiler assembly in that drawing, the concave side of the oiler is facing up. Now picture in your mind, the flywheel rotation is clockwise, in that direction the oiler would NOT be scooping up the oil as the design indicates, but pushing it to the camshaft side, rather than upwards to the piston cylinder.

I hope that someone with experience will reply to this post and hopefully provide an answer before I assemble.

You probably have the manual, but if not below is a link that you can download the Tecumseh L Head service manual.
    I hope it can answer your questions but I doubt it will.

http://www.allotment.org.uk/assets/rotovator/Tecumseh-Engine-Manual.pdf

• itzbinnice
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since I’ve received no replies to my questions I went ahead and installed the connecting rod with the piston arrow facing left.
    The connecting rod match marks were facing me, and the numbers stamped on the connecting rod were facing me.
    The oil dipper was on the bottom screw of the connecting rod. I aligned the timing marks on the crankshaft and cam shaft to mesh.

I then brought the engine to my local mower repair shop to verify if the assembly was correct. He verified it was.

I then torqued the connecting rod bolts to 105 in lbs, and the cylinder case cover to 115 in lbs
    I also used blue loctite #242 on the connecting rod bolts and the cylinder case cover, installed a new gasket with a silicone sealant on the case cover.
    Installed the motor, it started on the first pull and is running very smooth. A JOB WELL DONE.

Below are some pics with connecting rod assembled properly on a OH195SP Tecumseh 7 1/2 HP Snow King.

{{gwi:137469}}

{{gwi:137470}}

{{gwi:137471}}