Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs Intek using a ton of oil

Posted by allenayres83 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:13

I have a 22hp Briggs intek model number 40g777 on a cub cadet zero turn that has been using about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of oil every couple of hours. It starts up fast and seems to run pretty good otherwise. It might not be as strong as it used to be though because it has died on my wife a few times while she had it wide open and cutting. The air filter does not have any oil in it. Oil seems to drip out of the exhaust after I turn it off for a couple seconds. I suspected head gasket but I changed both head gaskets and the same issue continued. What could be the problem? Does it need rings or to be bored out? Or could it be as simple as a valve guide or valve seal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs Intek using a ton of oil

Have a look and see if dirt has been getting by the air filter. It is real common on the suitcase type filters. If so, I'd price a new engine.

o

sounds like the engines had it ol chap , if its run without the air filter for any lenght of time its game over for the engine !!! dump it & get a new one ............

o

Is it possible you have too much oil in it? Maybe you should check the oil on a level surface.

o

agree with the experts. A heavier oil may help it for a while.

o

You said you changed the head gaskets, Was it the head gasket or valve cover gasket you changed,
Because if you did the head gasket you could have viewed the cylinder wall.
I still think the oil level is too high.
And what did the plugs look like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here