Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdtom_gw

Bonehead move with a mower

tdtom
10 years ago

I have a Craftsman push mower with a Briggs and Stratton 6.5 hp engine. It is about 8 years old and i have never had a single problem with it until today.

Today I got some string caught in my mower blade. I turned it over completely upside down (bonehead move) and that is where my troubles begn. When I turned it back over, The air filter was saturated and the mower would not start. I let it sit for a while, replaced the air filter, cleaned (but did not replace) the spark plug, and got it running again for about 5 minutes before I shut it down. I came back to it about an hour or so later to make sure everything was ok and it wasn't. I had to prime it out 15-20 times (normally 3) to get it to start. The primer bulb seemes to have less resistance when pushed now as well. It would run for about 30 seconds and sputter out, almost like it was running out of gas. The longest I have been able to get it to run for is about 2-3 minutes. There was white smoke coming out of the exhaust, which I expected, but there also seemed to be white smoke coming from other places as well. I pulled the dipstick and there is oil in it, but it smells like gas, so I am rally hoping i did not score a piston.

I think the carberatour might be gummed up but I honestly have no idea what could be going on. Like i said I have had no problems until today, when I mad a total bonehead move.

This post was edited by tdtom on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 20:23

Comments (6)