Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rolm

Lawnboy Very difficult to Start

rolm
13 years ago

I have a Lawnboy Model 8401 It is very dificult to start. Good spark, Carb is clean and the primer bulb works. Good compression.I even squirted gas in the carb and it is still difficult to srart it takes around 10 to 15 pulls and sometimes it will not start. When it starts it works normal. Any thoughts

Comments (6)

• walt2002
    13 years ago

A couple of thoughts, leaking crankshaft seals, it will likely be wet around them IF they are leaking.

And leaking reed valves.

You did try a new correct spark plug?

Walt Conner

• rolm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input Walt they all seem to be ok and I did try a few new correct plugs. This has me stumped. When it is running it runs normal. I hate to throw it out

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Rolm: You checked the condition of the points ? Also hate to get back to Oil but have you used less than detergent additive oil . You may have excessive carbon build up on the rings causing less than optimum compression . I thought perhaps seal leakage also causing a loss of base compression (crankcase + pressure) but you say the seals seem dry ? Last resort check your exhaust ports and muffler for excessive carbon restricting flow . I know sounds lame but a little carbon here & little more there adds up in reducing volumetric efficiency within the Golden Triangle of Combustion ! I hate when 1980's Vintage 2-strokes with what appears to be good fuel , adequate Spark and Compression don't even Fart ?

• walt2002
    13 years ago

This is an "F" engine and will not have points and condenser. There is always the possibility solid state ignition system is failing.

Walt Conner

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Walt: Thanx for the clarification , yeah I suppose the Ignition Module could be going South , more familiar with them going completely not intermittently though ?

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Yesterday, i solved the problem of two old Lawn-boys that didn't run---i gave them to my parts supplier, who seemed happy to get them. WHOOPEE! GONE FOREVER!!
    They were a gift to me-who hates Lawn boys! Hondas are next on the list. Have 3 that run so-so. One seems to have a floating timing.? One time i try to start it, it bucks badly! Next time--it starts right up and runs ok. Another is electric start, with the battery on the handlebars. I'm wondering about it. Got no papers with it, although i did get it to run. Third one is parts only.