Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
extremeblue

briggs and stratton

extremeblue
13 years ago

I have a Husqvarna yth2448 with a briggs and stratton 24 horse engine.With less than 200 hours it is using oil at a rate that is not acceptable.When you engage the mower it has a bad knock and a big puff of blue smoke. This smoke is also present when you first start the engine. Now it shutting down when it gets hot like it is starving for gas. I can choke it and run a little longer but even that doesn't stop it from going dead.I would be thankful for any help.

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Briggs engines can have headgast issues that will cause increased consumption, lots of smoke- all the time when they fail.When does the smoke go away? You didn't say how much oil you are using, model, type and code from the engine etc. Obviously you could have other issues. Is fuel getting into the crankcase? Your shutting down warm could be something as simple as a plugged hole in the top of the fuel cap.

• extremeblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I mow approx.1 acre,and I am using a half quart or more per mowing.Smoke is present all the time just more noticeable when it is first started and when the mowing deck is engaged.It is a briggs and stratton 24 horse els engine.V twin on a Husqvarna 48 inch cut brought from sears around 2006 or 2007.Plugs are fouling.Someone has told me I could have an oil ring gone in one cylinder or both.I have changed the oil at the start of every season and use 30w oil as instructed bt the owners manual.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Have you had signs of dirt getting past the air filter? If not, it could very well be a head gasket. If so, look for that tractor super sale this fall...

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Tom: You have to be kidding a 3-4 yr old tractor ready for the Bone yard already ?

• walt2002
    13 years ago

"3-4 yr old tractor ready for the Bone yard already ?"

Some of those had ill fitting air cleaners and destroyed themselves prematurely. MAY be ready for an engine at least.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Hi Ewalk- been staying out of trouble? I haven't had a blown ELS in a while. But the last few years there were starting to appear. Rods don't play well, start knocking and let go. Briggs list IS the farm, tho some internet wholesalers will have them less from time to time.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Walt : Yeah I suppose dirt intrusion via 1 acre cutting over that time frame will lesson Life Cycle Dramatically .

Tom: Hell No Bro lol . I guess Husky with ELS is not on the Top of my Future List !

• briggsandstratton
    13 years ago

Hi, this is Dan from the Briggs & Stratton Answer Center. White or blue smoking usually indicates the burning of oil. Causes to this condition include:

Overfilling the crankcase with oil
    Incorrect oil grade
    Operating or storing the engine at greater than a 15 degree angle
    Inoperative crankcase breather
    Crankcase air leak
    Blown head gasket
    Worn cylinder and/or rings
    Fuel mixing with oil (clean and rebuild the carburetor)

Additional information may also be obtained via the following Answer: http://engines.myfaqcenter.com/Answer.aspx?p_faqid=1518

If following this FAQ does not improve engine performance, or you are not sure how to perform this repair, I suggest consulting a Briggs and Stratton Authorized Dealer located in your area. Your Briggs & Stratton Authorized Dealer has all the information relating to Briggs & Stratton warranty, replacement engines, short blocks, parts, pricing, service/repair, specifications, etc.

For your convenience, here is our online dealer locator:
    https://briggsandstratton.com/corp/find_location/

Hope this helps,

Dan B.
    Briggs & Stratton Answer Center

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs & Stratton Website