Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Old Toro riding lawn mower.

rustyj14
13 years ago

I had to replace the transmission belt on that old Toro riding lawn mower. What caused the problem was the crankshaft seal leaked, and oil got on the belt-s, causing it to not go up hill.

I don't know when it was made, but the mfgrs. didn't waste any money on designing and building it. It looks like it was built by a committee! Everything was fastened together by bolts, nuts, and lock washers! No nuts welded to the body, to make fixing it easier. Bolts in places that made me wonder if my arms were long enough to hold the bolt in while i tried to install the lock and nut! Arms that held the mower deck on, and i had to reach between them to get the nut and lock on it, under the machine. (I had a steel bar in there, in case it fell down.) Scary.

The vertical shaft engine used a belt to turn the transmission, and then a chain ran back to turn the wheels and axle. Snapper solved that problem with the aluminum disc and a rubber tired wheel that turned the axles.

Getting the controls set to start the engine must of been designed by a feeble minded grand-mother. No wonder i don't see many of them around here. (The mowers, not the FM Grandmothers.)

Comments (4)