Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landon1937

Lawn Boy Mower

landon1937
13 years ago

I have a Lawn Boy walk behind self propelled mower that was making a knocking sound and using a LOT of oil...almost a quart while mowing my lawn (about 2hours)..New rings?. I took the head off and while turning the flywheel back and forward it produced the knocking sound. I could hold the piston down while moving the flywheel in one direction and when I reversed the direction there was about a 1/16 inch loose movement in the piston.

The mower was bought in 2006 with not all that much mowing time. I had to have a new transmission put in under warranty. It sure seems like I may have got a lemon.

The model number shown on the plate is Lv195EA with another number 10682. DOM 06157LJ0029. I have no idea what DOM is.

My question would it be worth having this engine repaired (I think I can do the work myself since I do some mechanical work) or maybe a new engine or maybe a new lawn mower?

Comments (9)

• walt2002
    13 years ago

Same answer as other Forum.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    13 years ago

"I have no idea what DOM is."
    I think it goes for over $100 a bottle...

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yeah Perron at least $100.00 a Pop....Roflmbo !

• landon1937
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tomplum and ewalk.
    10,000 comedians out of a job and we have to put up with you suckers. Get a life.

walt2002m I posted this in another forum to see if I could get different ideas. Sorry you were there on both.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

My goal was certainly not to offend you. I had assumed it was in the tool forum also or something. DOM for Tecumseh shows a julian Date Of Manufacture. 2006, 157th day. As to answer your question, if there are no external leaks and no signs of the breather pumping oil into the hose above the carb- it is best to throw in the towel on this engine. The nature of basic aluminum block engine gone bad + if you haven't heard - Tecumseh is no longer. Lawnboy had a different crank, but a little searching on the web, Google it, EBAY etc may find a cheap replacement. Briggs replacements can be had as well for Lawnboy.
    Circle one: am I a tech answering your question, a comedian, or some nut case seeking approval?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

landon: Just a little humour apparently at your expense ! Not to be Taken Personally. To directly answer your question your mower was prone to early crankshaft failures.
    By your description , either bottom end bearing failure top wrist pin wear or both . It is not worth repairing (unless you have a doaner engine), as advised by Tom a replacement engine if your chassis is in good shape , would be the most prudent path to follow .

• landon1937
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have since opened up the crankcase. The rod is loose (worn) on the crank. Also the exhaust valve is loose in the block. just wobbles around. Worn out I guess. So I am junking it for a new mower. Just not worth messing with.
    As for the humor it just struck me wrong when I was asking a legitimate question. Thanks for the comeback.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"I have a Lawn Boy walk behind self propelled mower that was making a knocking sound and using a LOT of oil...almost a quart while mowing my lawn (about 2hours)..New rings?."

Burned almost a quart of oil in 2 hours of use?? Wow!! The sump only holds .66 quart so you had to refill once? You must have darkened the sky with plumes of smoke to burn that much oil in 2 hours.

From your description the engine is shot. Was it run dry or the oil never changed? Or always that way.

• landon1937
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roadbike,
    Almost a quart is not quite a quart. Something less.
    Yes it was a bug repellent.