Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_in_sc

Mascot 21' reel push mower on Bermuda

john_in_sc
13 years ago

Hey all,

Decided to take the plunge into a reel mower on Bermuda.

I got the Mascot 21" silent cut reel push mower -- Apparently, it's a knockoff of the old Agri fab / Scott's / Craftsman Silent Cut reel of days yore...

My self propelled push mower was doing a horrible job on my bermuda -- Leaving tracks, uneven cut, crop circles, bogging down, etc.... This is mowing 2-3x per week.....

Here's my mini-review for the crowd....

Bear in mind, this is a review of a manual push mower on a dense lawn that clogs up gas mowers....

1. What a freakin' workout! Talk about cardio-insanity... I actually lost 3 lbs mowing my 5,000 sq-ft of Bermuda. Granted, that's probably mostly sweat... but still!

1.5 My wife tried it out -- made it 1 foot and said "No way!"

2. Cut is beautiful. Best I have ever achieved on this lawn.

3. Wish I would have bought the 18" model instead... the 21" width is just a beast to push in this lawn....

This would be an awesome choice if you had a boy who was getting into Football or some sort of athletic sport -- where they needed some endurance training under load... It would do the trick!

On other grass and weeds in my lawn.....

*MUCH* easier.... It ran through Crabgrass and Fescue and weedy grass areas with ease....

Weight wise -- 44lbs or so... so heavy for a Reel mower, but much lighter than the 150 lbs my Push mower weighs.... The inertia provided by the weight seemed to help power through really tough sections.....

Overall... A well built Quality mower... Heavy duty for a reel mower. If you are considering a push mower -- I would recommend it... but Buy the 18" model unless you are looking for a workout.....

Thanks

John

Comments (3)