Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyma_gw

Longterm mower storage

andyma_gw
14 years ago

I have a 21" Toro 20622 with a 4 stroke Suzuki OHV, BBC and 3spd trans. It is my backup should either my sitdown or my trimmer go down for more than a week. I want to set it up for long term storage. Should I just fill the tank and Stabil-ize the gas, bring the piston to TDC and forget it? Or should I drain the tank and empty the carb?

Both my mowers are running great, but each is 30+ yrs old.

I picked this little jewel off the roadside, bagger and all. It runs great, all it needed was a 5/16 fine thread sholder bolt on the RF height adjuster. And I have 2 similar decks to take parts from. It is my first OPE with an OHV.

Comments (10)

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

Drain it and empty the carb completely.

• baymee
    14 years ago

Agreed. In my 32 years of equipment ownership, I have always run everything dry at the end of the season. Never a problem.

• lbpod
    14 years ago

Personally, I would use it occasionally. Maybe alternate
    between your regular trimmer once in a while. Long term
    storage can create other problems, even if the mower
    is totally drained of gasoline. My 'extras' get some
    exercise every once in a while and they always start,
    and I don't drain the fuel, (but it is always less than
    a few months old and has stabilizer and Seafoam in the
    tank). Add only small amounts of fuel so that it gets
    used up during the exercise routines and fresh fuel can
    be added.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

Over time the gas will, go bad unless you maintain the fuel as suggested by lbpod. But if you do that it's not long term storage anymore. Draining is the best way in my opinion if it's long term unattended storage.

• zoulas
    14 years ago

If long term storage is years, then I would drain it and perhaps add oil to the cylinder via the spark plug hole. If you are talking about Nov to April off season storage then filling the tank with treated (stabil) gas should work well for you.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

Nice mower at the best possible price. I would set it up for winter storage which involves draining all gasoline, changing the oil, fitting a new air filter, checking drive belt, etc. The usual stuff and store it in a dry location.

Next season I would run it periodically.

• rosemallow
    14 years ago

I noticed you asked about bringing the piston to TDC both valves closed. Yes, it is very important to do this.
    I have seen valve surfaces rust. When the valves are open air and moisture can enter.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

Directions for storage are always in the manual and they include all the suggestions made here (except leaving fuel in it) plus more, like fogging the cylinder with oil and cleaning/lubricating the entire machine.

• andyma_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Saxman, I put about a pint of fuel in the mower, along with a healthy dose of MMO. I then mowed about half of my front lawn with it and then let the gas run out. The float bowl has a screw drain on it.
    The blade is fair, the BBC and 3 speed drive is good. Oil is reasonably clean so is the airfilter. I will fog some with MMO, bring the piston to TDC and shoot a little oil in the plug hole. Then it is going deep into
    the shed. It is at best an emergency mower, too small compared to my sitdown and too clunky for a trimmer. It runs purty darn good for free. I have 2 very similar Toros for parts too.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

Just use the MMO in the cylinder - no extra engine oil is required for storage. There is a very good spray product - DuPont dry Teflon lube - for coating any unfinished metal parts. It sprays wet and penetrates, then the solvents dissipate, leaving a non-sticky, light waxy coat that will prevent corrosion. It will not have to be removed for use. This product is also ideal for mower wheel lube because it dries almost instantly and won't hold grit.