Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Engine does not turn off

Posted by mustangm nj (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 8:22

My father-in-law picked up a 'free' sears push mower model 247.372550. I got it started, but it would not turn off when releaseing the handle. I have isolated the issue down to a seized cable on the blade control bail. I have tried several attempts at unseizing this cable, but have been unsuccessful. I see signs of rust on the cable. Is there anyway to unfreeze this cable, or best to just replace it?

One more question. This mower has a Tecumseh 143-424102. The muffler is in very poor condition. I removed it and did not notice any gasket between the muffler and the engine. Is it normal to not have a gasket in this area? I checked an online parts illustration (link below) and did not notice a gasket. Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-143424102/0247/1503500/00057616/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Engine does not turn off

Just replace the cable, but it could also be a ground switch. However, realize that trash-canned lawn mowers can have more than one problem.

o
RE: Engine does not turn off

Mus: Follow RB's advice . You could hang the cable from the garage wall and spray some penetrating / lubricating oil down the cable sheathing and leave overnight , tedious job while attempting to free up the cable the next day . It could possibly re-seize later . Sears is good with replacement parts sourcing . Bring in the cable and Model Number / Serial Number . As for the Muffler some were machined surface without flange gasket necessity. Is there visual evidence of blowby ? You could make your own gasket if you feel it's warranted or again check your Sears Repair facility for availability :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here